More noob questions

stl

Registered
Registered
I am trying to get the tooling I need for a 7x10 HF lathe.
A little confused - is it 1/4, 3/8 or 5/16 tools, and length 2 1/2, or is it OK to be longer. Or any of the above.
Will be learning on aluminum.
Have tried to find this information, and looking at littlemachineshop many are listed as compatible.
Thanks for the help.

I do not have that type of lathe, but if I remember correctly, any of the tool sizes should work up to 3/8" square. The length of 2 1/2" should be just right, but longer ones will be just fine. I assume your lathe has the four position turret style toolpost? I usually try to use as large a tool as possible so long as it does not interfere with the work. The larger the tool, the more sturdy the setup, and the less likely you are to have chatter.

Measure your tool post tool holder where the tool size can be measured under the bolts. Consider bolting down 4 tools at once, so you don't want the tool too long where it intrudes on the other tool being bolted down. Also anytime you extend the tool beyond the tool holder, you can flex, therefor chatter, especially on harder material. Check out littlemachineshop.com for tools that match the 7x10. http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1796&category= http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1913&category=

ive noticed if i put the tool in the position closest and parallel to the chuck, long tools interfere with the factory chip shield. is this an acceptable position for the tool bit? am i the only one who actually tries to keep that chip guard in place? aluminum is good, but im using plastic pipe to practice on. i live beside a plumbing shop, so scrap pieces are free and plentiful for me.

PVC is excellent to practice with, especially when you can get material for free!!

As for the length of the tools, you can always cut the shank of the tool to shorten it up if you are having interference problems.

As for factory chip shields, my lathe was built just before WW II - no chip shield, but it would not be a bad idea to have one.

The Harbor Freight 8x12 and 8x14 lathes don't have those sheilds. Does that help ? Just respect the tools and think twice, verify the spin BEFORE you hit that green button, AND paint your chuck keys orange or add ejection springs to them AND wear eye protection.

GOD only gave me two eyes, so yes, i wear (and encourage others) safety glasses around my machine. i actually like the shield over the chuck, but the one on the tool post im not so crazy about. still, i leave it on as much as i can.

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense. It is precisely the same tooling at the littlemachineshop that confused. The tooling is 1/4 in one, and 3/8 in another. It makes sense to use the largest size that fits. The HF manual states largest size 5/16 - so smaller is OK, but largest is best (and it sounds like at least on my machine, 3/8 will be too large).

What is important is to have the tip of the cutting tool at precise dead center, with minimal or no shimming. Size your tool accordingly.

Back