1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

More lathe art

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by Jimsehr, May 14, 2017.

1. Jimsehr

Jimsehr United States Active User Active Member

City:
    SOULSBYVILLE near sonora
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Playing around with making a little art on the lathe. It's a metal ball with legs. Made out of a 1/2 sq alum piece.

[​IMG]

jimsehr

brino, sanddan, jbolt and 8 others like this.
  2. WoodBee

WoodBee Netherlands Steel Registered Member

City:
    Alphen aan den Rijn

-Return to Top-

Intriguing..
    I would love to learn a little about the how!
    Peter

FOMOGO likes this.
  3. Jimsehr

City:
    SOULSBYVILLE near sonora
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I am trying to make a free floating square inside a 1/2 inch ball as an art project. So I am dreaming up ways to turn a square piece into a round ball. And I think this will work. I will start with 1/2 inch sq cubes and cut the free floating squares inside them then I will form the ball with the hand ground form tool that I made. It will take two homemade form tools to complete the ball. To make the part shown with the legs I used a cube held in a 1/2 inch sq 5c collet with a collet stop in it. Then I made a 1/2 radius form tool about 5/16 wide to form ball . Then I turned cube in collet and formed it the other way. When I make the part with the sq inside I will first hold cube in collet then form 1/2 radius in center of part ,then hold on the 1/2 ball to use other homemade radius tool to finish both ends of ball . I will post pic when I get it done.
    Jimsehr
    Oops I meant a 1/4 inch radius to form the 1/2 inch ball.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    WoodBee likes this.
  4. WoodBee

WoodBee Netherlands Steel Registered Member

City:
    Alphen aan den Rijn

-Return to Top-

Jim, thanks for the explanation. Nice work! Did you experience a lot of chatter with the form tools?

Peter

5. Jimsehr

City:
    SOULSBYVILLE near sonora
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

WoodBee
    I have made a lot of radius form tools and have found that if I give the tool enough top back rake I don't have too much chatter. But in this case I may use both my homemade ball turner and a form tool.
    Jimsehr

WoodBee and jlsmithseven like this.