1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Moody lathe.... South bend clone made in canada ...

Discussion in 'VARIOUS OTHER BRANDS OF MACHINERY' started by Brain Coral, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Brain Coral

Brain Coral Canada Active User Active Member

City:
    Boundary Creek
    State:
    New Brunswick

-Return to Top-

Well Done, Ben... :encourage:

You are likely the most knowledgeable person in the world on Moody lathes... ;)

LeakyCanoe and Benjinoob like this.
  2. LeakyCanoe

LeakyCanoe Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Guelph
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Yes, and here I am lurking with my Moody in the dock for a possible future restore...and only an hour or so away from you Ben to boot :chunky:

Here's a couple of shots of it I have saved on the computer before I moved it out of it's former home where it was a steady user. Still unsure as to it's fate...it remains a good steady user as is but I'm sure me or a future owner will be wanting to bring her back to full glory someday. For now it is content to toil away unmussed without any make-up.

Moody - 1.jpg Moody2 - 1.jpg

I don't know how many of these they sold out of La Belle Province back in the day but they sure seem to have passed the test of time. I guess when you clone a SB 9 and then make design and build improvements on top of that you end up with something pretty good.

Benjinoob likes this.
  3. Benjinoob

Benjinoob Canada Iron Registered Member

City:
    Ajax
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Wow yours does see a lot of use! Still looks in good condition though. They really do hold up.

If you want to watch my progress on the restore I started an Instagram account. Just finished stripping the head. It's a little slow going as I have a 3yr and a 6mo old and my wife doesn't want me leaving them with her to hide in the basement lol.

The account is @vintagemachineandknifemaking

4. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

It would be nice if you ran a thread here on the restore as well. I would love to follow along and this would be a great place to share what you learn along the way. There's not many of those lathes out there and people could learn from your experiences with it.

5. Benjinoob

City:
    Ajax
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

There's a little brass plug in this last piece on the spindle.

image.jpeg

6. Benjinoob

City:
    Ajax
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

You're right, I will continue to post progress on this thread. Maybe easier for people to understand than starting a new one.

LeakyCanoe and woodtickgreg like this.