Moody lathe.... South bend clone made in canada ...

Hello Steve,

That fellow did a real nice job on his restorsation. Too bad that he's missing some critical parts. I don't know if it will look as nice as his, but it will certainly look and work better than when I found it. It's a fun little lathe to work on and all of the parts are light to move around.

There is an Army Green colour that is on the lathe, but it's difficult to know if this was the original colour or not. Regardless, this new colour will look good when it's done.

Thanks for your interest and encouragement... :)

Brian

Subscribed! Cool thread, I'll be watching this one come together. Thanks
Greg

Hello Greg,

Thanks... :) I managed to get the feet cleaned up and painted before going to bed.

Next, I need to dismantle the headstock and soak the bearings, spindle, backgear, etc. in de-greaser. Then I will clean and paint the headstock. Once that's done, I'll put the legs, chip pan, feet, bed and headstock casting together.

Cheers.... :)

Brian

Hello Greg,

Thanks... :) I managed to get the feet cleaned up and painted before going to bed.

Next, I need to dismantle the headstock and soak the bearings, spindle, backgear, etc. in de-greaser. Then I will clean and paint the headstock. Once that's done, I'll put the legs, chip pan, feet, bed and headstock casting together.

Cheers.... :)

Brian
Get some pics as you go, I for one would love to see how this thing is put together. The head stock and spindle bearings look a little different from what a normal south bend is, I would like to see that. This old lathe is pretty cool and will be fun watching you work on her and breath some renewed life into it.
Greg

Well, I'm stymied as to how to get the spindle gear to come off of the spindle. It is threaded on the spindle and has a grub screw with a plug of brass to hold it in position on the spindle, but it won't budge. Yes, I have removed the grub screw and brass plug and have wedged the back gear so that the spindle won't turn and am using a strap wrench on the gear. I did try heating it slightly with a propane torch, but it still won't budge.

IMGP0591800x600_zps62e78e9d.jpg

Am I missing something ? I have left it soaking in some penetrating oil for now. There doesn't seem to be any corrosion, so it must be mechanical. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks... :)

Brian

IMGP0591800x600_zps62e78e9d.jpg

I have never seen a set up like that, kinda why I was hoping for some pics. Do you know for a fact that all the pins, screws, plugs etc. are out, and know for a fact whether it is right or left hand thread? Do you have a parts breakdown for this lathe that might shed some light on the various parts and how they come apart. Good luck and keep us posted.

I got it sorted out. A friend suggested that only the outside part was threaded and that the gear was likely keyed. So I tapped at the hole with a brass drift punch and got it to unscrew. Then the gear came off the key and spindle with some coaxing. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Brian

Ok, here's how the parts looked like as they came off the spindle...

IMGP0592800x600_zpsad7a161f.jpg

IMGP0593800x600_zpsf48ea637.jpg

IMGP0594800x600_zpsfdeeaae9.jpg

I am so glad for the help that I got. When it was pointed out to me, I thought... " Of course... !!! "

Now, onto the next puzzle... How does the spindle come out ? I'm assuming that it would press out of the bearings towards the chuck side, but I'm not going to frig with it until I investigate it further.

Cheers... :)

Brian

IMGP0592800x600_zpsad7a161f.jpg

IMGP0593800x600_zpsf48ea637.jpg

IMGP0594800x600_zpsfdeeaae9.jpg

Very cool, glad you got it figured out. It's not how I pictured it coming apart. Thanks for sharing the pictures of this unusual lathe.

Hello Greg,

Thanks.... No, I don't have a parts diagram or any info on this lathe. I'm sure somewhere in a dusty corner somewhere something might exist, but with the very limited numbers of these lathes showing up and the fact that Moody hasn't enjoyed anywhere near the same enthusiasm as South Bend has, I highly doubt that someone is going to come forward with some literature.

I'm sure that there is a logical way that the spindle will come out of the bearings. I'll just have to do more cleaning, poking and prodding.

Cheers... :)

Brian

Back