Moody lathe project

Glendaler

Registered
Registered
I picked up a new project this week, I was searching the local kijiji ads and a "south bend lathe" came up. Turns out the guy was just down the road and the price was right. After getting it home I was sure I had an Atlas because of the legs, but something still wasn't adding up, then I thought I might have a Hercus. After a deep dive into the internet late into the night, lathes.co.uk finally gave me my answer.

I'm very happy with it, most of the important parts in good shape although quite a bit is missing. There was no motor, jackshaft, feed gears, or chuck, and there was missing teeth in the backgear system. The spindle seemed tight and smooth though, the ways show no wear but it was in a school so there are dings that will have to be stoned out. There was minimal rust and I liked the look of the quality.

Now that I have it all torn apart the plan is to clean and paint everything first. Can't see me spending three times what I spent on the lathe to outfit the gear system I'm thinking electric leadscrew for the feed, and a 3 phase motor with a VFD so I don't have to fix the backgears.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 18
I noticed the tailstock quill would turn a bit in the bore like the key was a bit wore. I got to investigating and found spot underneath that I thought might be a broken or ground off adjustment bolt. Are there tailstocks that have a setscrew or bolt to push the key up or is this just the bottom of the key material and it would be pounded up into the bore to remove it? It was hard to get a good pic but you can kinda see where I hit it with a punch a few times to see if anything would move.

100_4070.JPG

Back