Monarch Seris 50 Lathe Problems

gold642

machinist farmer
Registered
I finally got the rotophase connected to the 50 series monarch. The start circuit for the control power had some issues but I have a good electrical drawing. I rewired the start stop buttons and the machine operates in all three speeds and is variable in every gear. Everything was going well until I engaged the carriage feed. The feed stuck in and will not release. Anyone have a trick to fix this or do I need to remove the cross feed off the apron?

Not sure about the series 50, but does it have a main clutch? if so try disengaging the main clutch and see if it frees stuff up. I also wonder if it is possible to engage any of the different feeds at the same time, i.e. cross feed and carriage feed or threading at the same time......... just some thoughts..

Tim

I tried engaging and disengaging the clutch. I tried forward and reversing the feed. I engaged both the feed and lead and hand turned it until I could not turn it . I topped the oil off to the apron oil fill. I tried everything again. Nothing worked .Well then I took the plunge and removed the saddle form the apron. I had to take the carriage to the tail stock end of the lathe. Then I removed the 2 bolts holding the lead and feed screws. Then I removed the 8 bolts holding the apron. The apron dropped low enough to slide the saddle up toward the chuck. The tapered clutch that engages the carriage was stuck in. I took a aluminum bar and hammered on the clutch about ten times and the clutch released. It seems that since the lathe had sit a long time the clutch had developed a small amount of rust on the clutch surface. The oil was only about an inch deep instead of being about 4 inches deep. The sight glass was stained making it look half full. I ran the lathe and it works great. Thanks for your reply to my post.

I'm glad that you were able to get the lathe working. Did you take any photos? If you did please post them; if not I'd still like to see a photo of the 50 series.
Mike

Back