Monarch 20.5" swing engine lathe for sale for $500?!?!? A scamm you think??

could be legit. 20.5" SWING... thats a big lathe, might not have an easy market to sell those, and seeing that they are moving and need to clear the space up, the price is not surprising.

That would be a, what, 41" chuck? ...I could chamber a heck of a big barrel on something that size... Maybe I will buy it sight unseen...

Karl

I've seen several very large lathes for sale locally for that cheap. I think that their sheer size makes them difficult to sell unless to another commercial operator, so they price them to get someone, anyone to get them out of there.
:whiteflag:

Give them a call and find out where it is. I am back in town and could meet you there if it isn't out in the bonnies and take a look at it.
651 338 8141 or I could call them if you get the number and talk to them. Rich

He's probably selling it for about what he can get at the scrap yard. He says he needs to sell quick so he can move, so he probably doesn't have time to try to get more. And he may not want to see a good machine get turned into scrap. It could well be a real sweet deal. If I was in the area and had room for it, I would definitely get right over there, cash in hand, with no delay.

If you go look at it, please let us know what you find. Try to get the model number and serial number. You'll want to pay attention to the HP rating of the motor. That could be an issue for a machine that big if you don't have 3-phase power.

Cal

The 20.5 is probably the diameter it will turn, not the radius. That's the way many British machines are measured. US goes by diameter.

The main problem I see with a hobbyist getting that large a machine is the low speeds it will have. If you need to do small work, it will turn it, sure, but the top speed it probably 600 rpm or so.

Hard to say but, something like that might have a 10 or 15 HP motor. The 50 Amp extention cord to plug it in will weigh a couple more times than you do...

Back