Monarch 10ee

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Looking to buy one, prices all over the place. What's a good deal? Or should I forget about it and buy something else?

I have a Clausing Colchester 12x36 but I want something more "precision". Not that I need it's just that I want it. I have a friend who wants the Clausing and will give me a fair price.

This is a scam. I answered this ad. The machine is on the east coast and the guy wants me to pay up front by check before shipment even though the ad says free shipping and COD. He won't even give me his name or address of his business. I doubt he owns the machine.

I have been going back and forth with him by phone and email. He will not take credit cards or Pay-Pal. I looked up reviews and they are nasty.

I suggest someone else contact him and see how it goes. He will tell you he has 2-3 other people interested and you better hurry to get this great deal. This guy doesn't even speak or write decent English. Definitely a scammer. But I do suggest others contact him and report back.

Whatever you do do not send money.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. Maybe I'll contact him using a throwaway email address.

There were 2 in the McMinnville area for about $7500 for the pair, but I haven't seen them come up for awhile. Were on Craigslist for the last year or so, on and off.

In the early 80's we had a few of these in the shop when I worked for Rockwell . They were nice , down side was they had complicated electronics . Like vacuum tubes and stuff .

The one(s) I'm looking at have that old vacuum tube stuff replaced with modern VFD's. Problem is they tend to be very expensive.

Arent there any other precision machines with same capabilities?
I don't know if there are swiss machines available at that side of the pond? Or german?
Schaublin, weiler and such brands.
Maybe TOS SUI32 perhaps?

The one(s) I'm looking at have that old vacuum tube stuff replaced with modern VFD's. Problem is they tend to be very expensive.

having looked at dozens of 10ees and owning a WiaD machine for 13 plus years, its my experience that most of the converted machines are a sad replica of the original, frequently they have had back gear taken out, have poor low end power, do not have the smooth speed control of the original tube or motor generator set up. If its a conversion done by Monarch different story, but they put huge motors in to make up for loss of back gear and were very expensive retrofits.

If you are afraid of the tube machines get an older motor generator machine , most any elevator shop should have someone who could work on motor or generator if you have problems. If youa re into doublee Practical Machinist monarch board is where the info on repair is.

michael

Thinking on buying this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181919707101?ul_noapp=true

I talked with the owner who seems to be truthful and honorable and I believe the machine to be as represented.

Problem is it is 1,700 miles distant so I cannot examine it. I would hate to have it arrive on my doorstep and find it not good.

Suggestions and advice?

Back