Monarch 10ee round dial Repair

It's been a while since I updated my work in progress. After a year of searching I finally Found a new front spindle bearing for my EE I already replaced the rear bearing. Here are some pics of my 5hp back max motor retrofit with gearbox .001.JPG002.JPG006.JPG003.JPG002.JPG
After running the Motor I found I had a vibration coming from the gearbox. I ended up making new shift sliders .050 oversize and truing up the groove in the dog gear. The vibration was better but I was still not satisfied so I replaced all the bearings in the gear box with new sealed bearings. I finally got rid of the vibration problem. I'm happy with it now. Tomorrow I'll post pics on my compound and carriage scraping. I hosted one of Richard Kings scraping classes and learned how to scrape in ways. Bob

001.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG 003.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:
It makes my lovely little Chipmaster look dowdy in comparison. That lathe is looking stunning and considering the time you are putting in to it getting it to run smooth and true, it will be a masterpiece when finished.

Paul.

Thanks for the compliment. After getting the drive operating smoothly. I scraped in my crosslide then machined my saddle for moglice. Here is the set-up to moglice the saddle. I made adjusting brackets for the 4 corners. then adjusted the crosslide to 0.0001 towards the headstock in 6". After getting everything adjusted I mogliced the saddle. There is one imperfection where a air pocket formed I may go back and repair it later. I also ran all new oil lines (what a pain that was) Here are some pics. I will show what my measurements ended up at tomorrow. Bob
089.JPG082.JPG091.JPG092.JPG094.JPG

089.JPG 082.JPG 091.JPG 092.JPG 094.JPG

Ok here is what I ended up with. 0.0001 sag over 12" .0002 towards the operator over 12" and 0.0001 concave over 6" Total run out .0003 over 12"
083.JPG084.JPG085.JPG086.JPG087.JPG

The oiler in the apron oils everything really well. I can see why these lathes last so long I'll probably be buying oil by the bucket:thumbsup2:

083.JPG 084.JPG 085.JPG 086.JPG 087.JPG

As it's winter now and can't finish paiting the last parts I decided to put the lathe together and play a little. This lathe is so much more rigid and has more power than I will ever need. I played until I reduced a 1-1/2 by 12" 1018 bar to nothing. I even got a decent finish. .125 cut no problem even at 1000 rpm finishing cut a 2800 rpm with carbide something I couldn't even think about befor works well. 060 cut in o1 pushed my 3/8 tooling to the max I will have to get some larger tooling. Bob

Back