• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Monarch 10ee round dial Repair

vettebob

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
104
Likes
5
#31
Thanks for the compliment. I spent 2 weeks prepping for paint. Monarch uses a mechanical tach. Bob
 

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2013
Messages
811
Likes
277
#34
Wow!! That's going to be one pretty machine! You're going to shame me into to painting mine...lol.

Chuck
 

vettebob

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
104
Likes
5
#37
003.JPG 001.JPG side at 12 inches.JPG top at 12 inches.JPG top at headstock.JPG I haven't posted anything for a while here's my progress. I installed removed and scraped the bottom of the headstock 20 times. My final results are .00027 down and .0001 towards the operator at 12". Taking test bar sag of .00017 into account that puts the headstock within .0002 over 12". Bob

003.JPG top at 12 inches.JPG top at headstock.JPG 001.JPG side at 12 inches.JPG
 

vettebob

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
104
Likes
5
#38
I ground the tailstock base and installed bronze shim stock. The base was worn .026 with most of the wear at the front. 001.JPG
Rebuilt the worm gear. The internal key was worn by over .060 and the gear had .020 oval wear inside. I bored the gear to .874 then took a piece of .875 by .065 wall tube bored it to .753 and cut a 3/16 key way in it. The new feed shaft is .749. The key was welded to the sleeve then the sleeve was pressed in with locktite 609 bearing adhesive. I will drill and install a set screw on each end the weld the screw to prevent movement. 001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG

001.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG
 

samthedog

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Messages
757
Likes
259
#40
Lovely job! I am sure you mentioned how you painted the lathe but I missed it. Did you spray it or roll / brush it?

Paul.
 

vettebob

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
104
Likes
5
#42
It's been a while since I updated my work in progress. After a year of searching I finally Found a new front spindle bearing for my EE I already replaced the rear bearing. Here are some pics of my 5hp back max motor retrofit with gearbox . 001.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG 003.JPG 002.JPG
After running the Motor I found I had a vibration coming from the gearbox. I ended up making new shift sliders .050 oversize and truing up the groove in the dog gear. The vibration was better but I was still not satisfied so I replaced all the bearings in the gear box with new sealed bearings. I finally got rid of the vibration problem. I'm happy with it now. Tomorrow I'll post pics on my compound and carriage scraping. I hosted one of Richard Kings scraping classes and learned how to scrape in ways. Bob

001.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG 003.JPG 002.JPG
 
Last edited:

samthedog

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Messages
757
Likes
259
#44
It makes my lovely little Chipmaster look dowdy in comparison. That lathe is looking stunning and considering the time you are putting in to it getting it to run smooth and true, it will be a masterpiece when finished.

Paul.
 

vettebob

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
104
Likes
5
#45
Thanks for the compliment. After getting the drive operating smoothly. I scraped in my crosslide then machined my saddle for moglice. Here is the set-up to moglice the saddle. I made adjusting brackets for the 4 corners. then adjusted the crosslide to 0.0001 towards the headstock in 6". After getting everything adjusted I mogliced the saddle. There is one imperfection where a air pocket formed I may go back and repair it later. I also ran all new oil lines (what a pain that was) Here are some pics. I will show what my measurements ended up at tomorrow. Bob
089.JPG 082.JPG 091.JPG 092.JPG 094.JPG

089.JPG 082.JPG 091.JPG 092.JPG 094.JPG
 

vettebob

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
104
Likes
5
#46
Ok here is what I ended up with. 0.0001 sag over 12" .0002 towards the operator over 12" and 0.0001 concave over 6" Total run out .0003 over 12"
083.JPG 084.JPG 085.JPG 086.JPG 087.JPG

The oiler in the apron oils everything really well. I can see why these lathes last so long I'll probably be buying oil by the bucket:thumbsup2:

083.JPG 084.JPG 085.JPG 086.JPG 087.JPG
 

vettebob

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
104
Likes
5
#47
As it's winter now and can't finish paiting the last parts I decided to put the lathe together and play a little. This lathe is so much more rigid and has more power than I will ever need. I played until I reduced a 1-1/2 by 12" 1018 bar to nothing. I even got a decent finish. .125 cut no problem even at 1000 rpm finishing cut a 2800 rpm with carbide something I couldn't even think about befor works well. 060 cut in o1 pushed my 3/8 tooling to the max I will have to get some larger tooling. Bob
 
Container Above bottom breadcrumb