1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Modular CNC Controller with DDCSV1.1 Panel

Discussion in 'CNC IN THE HOME SHOP' started by JayMcClellan, Mar 14, 2017.

1. JayMcClellan

JayMcClellan United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Saranac
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I just finished building this new controller to run my CNC router, and eventually to run my PM-25MV mill when I convert it for CNC. Here's a video I made:

I also published construction details on my web site, along with my Fusion 360 post-processor that generates G code for the DDCSv1.1 panel and for the original CNC Shark controller:

http://www.brainright.com/Projects/CNCController/

JimDawson, Matt P and rdean like this.
  2. frugalguido

frugalguido United States Steel Registered Member

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

Nice! Been following the thread on another forum about this controller and the mods that people have been doing to them.

3. JayMcClellan

JayMcClellan United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Saranac
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Yeah I assume you mean the madmodder.net forum and I was following that too, but when I tried to register on the forum their spambot somehow tagged my IP address as Russia and blocked me. I'm just a guy who lives in Michigan and likes to build stuff, and unlike some prominent politicians I really have no connection with Russia! I sent madmodder a couple of emails about it but haven't heard back, too bad as I assume some of those folks might like to see this too.

4. frugalguido

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

Yes, that's the forum. A lot of the posts are why over my head though. I have been interested in what other controllers are out there besides the PC thing. I am used to industrial controllers ,not some that are run with a mouse. I have also been looking at the NEW990MDP from Newkye with apparently uses the FUNAC code.

5. JayMcClellan

City:
    Saranac
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I finally got access to madmodder.net, and the main DDCSV1.1 thread is mostly about creating new custom firmware for it, which is certainly interesting and I might participate in that. There are quite a number of different CNC panels like this out there, which is one reason I went with the modular design that I did. If I someday want to use a different control panel or a SmoothStepper board for example, I should be able to use the same pinout on my 37-pin connector, at least for the most important signals, and just plug it in to my power module(s) to run my machine(s). I do like the DDCSV1.1 panel better than some of the alternatives for two reasons in particular: (1) it uses a USB thumb drive for loading G-code programs whereas some of the others use an SD card, and (2) it has software backlash compensation. I haven't tried the backlash compensation yet but I expect it will slightly improve accuracy with my CNC Shark router. The software backlash compensation is not as good as having high-quality ballscrews instead of leadscrews, but I expect it will be better than no compensation at all. The Newkye panels look nice offhand but I don't know much about them.

6. frugalguido

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-