Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

The deal has been made for the grinder, may have to store it in the living room..........

Is that just because you have the same problem as many of us: not nearly enough room in the shop? Hope you get to put the grinder to good use!

I'm thinking about one of my first projects being a belt grinder. Just got a free treadmill to tear down for the motor and maybe some other useful bits. The lathe is on the way and I could use it to make the pulleys. I kind of liked making the tool copies.

Oh oh I see that you are heading toward a tool dependency issue! :grin: The first stage is justifying the making or purchase of more tools. That's ok though we are here to help you!

I'm thinking about one of my first projects being a belt grinder. Just got a free treadmill to tear down for the motor and maybe some other useful bits. The lathe is on the way and I could use it to make the pulleys. I kind of liked making the tool copies.

Is that just because you have the same problem as many of us: not nearly enough room in the shop? Hope you get to put the grinder to good use!

Yup. Note to self when you build a garage or storage building, plan for the size you need then double it and when building double again. Surprisingly the wife actually supported this purchase.

Oh oh I see that you are heading toward a tool dependency issue! :grin: The first stage is justifying the making or purchase of more tools. That's ok though we are here to help you!

Help contribute to my delinquency you mean! :grin: Tool guys are worse than drug pushers! :grin:

My belt grinder is slowly coming together. Threaded some 1/2” rod for the wheels this evening and will cut some spacers tomorrow after I get home from defensive driving. I have a 3 hp treadmill motor for it. Heck the table it’s sitting on was a treadmill.
I plan to make some aluminum wheels but these will do to get it up and running.
Yes Mikey, I have glass for the platen too, thanks for the tip!

5E196F55-739E-4E3B-B17C-D97F37C40BD5.jpeg

Last edited:
Z2V your grinder is looking mighty fine! Got the same wheels for mine and like you will make the next set if they don't hold up.

Man, you guys are making me jealous with your grinders! One day, one day ...

Reactions: Z2V
Back