Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Mike, I tried the cutting method you suggested and ended up on the money (well according to my calipers it was within 0.0005"). Probably just a lucky run, never to be duplicated again, lol. It sure is a pleasure using a really sharp tool. It even left a pretty good finish on the mild steel rod I used for a test run.

Here's a couple of pics of the cutting tool for your critique.
1508376833669.png

1508376886776.png

Mike, I tried the cutting method you suggested and ended up on the money (well according to my calipers it was within 0.0005"). Probably just a lucky run, never to be duplicated again, lol. It sure is a pleasure using a really sharp tool. It even left a pretty good finish on the mild steel rod I used for a test run.

Here's a couple of pics of the cutting tool for your critique.
View attachment 244621

View attachment 244622

That's a fine looking tool, HB. You got all the angles right and the nose radius looks good. I can tell your platen is bending but that isn't causing an issue with your tool - came out really nice!! I would be proud to use that tool.

You will find that a square tool will do most things well and now that you have one that works for you, try learning to grind and use a knife tool. Grind one and get it sharp, then try cutting a shoulder a precise distance from the end of the work. There will be times when this is important. Also try turning a piece of brass down to 0.0500" X 0.75" long and use the knife tool to bring it in on size without a taper. Not all tools can do this but a knife tool can.

I'd say you're well on your way, HB - good for you!

Oh yeah, did your hands cramp up after honing like Jeff and me? I hate that ...

Thanks for the encouragement Mike. I'll make a knife tool in a few days when I get a chance to go back to the shop.

No my hands didn't get sore so I must not have spent enough time at it. Looking at your pics again I see your finish is a lot finer than mine. I might have to give it another go but I'm pretty happy with the way it cuts now. With a little more honing effort will the cut improve or will it remain sharp longer?

With a little more honing effort will the cut improve or will it remain sharp longer?

Both. Honing well removes most of the sawtooth defects at the cutting edge. This translates into a longer lasting sharp edge and better finishes. It takes me twice as long (or more) to hone as it does to grind a tool.

Both. Honing well removes most of the sawtooth defects at the cutting edge. This translates into a longer lasting sharp edge and better finishes. It takes me twice as long (or more) to hone as it does to grind a tool.

That explains why my hands didn't get sore. I spent no more than a couple of minutes honing. I thought it was just to get rid of the burrs.

Mike, are you using wax on your ceramic belts as you did with the AO belts?

Mike, are you using wax on your ceramic belts as you did with the AO belts?

Yup, I am. I'm not sure if the wax helped but the ceramic belt cut really cool and really fast. I'll continue to use it.

That explains why my hands didn't get sore. I spent no more than a couple of minutes honing. I thought it was just to get rid of the burrs.

Just get rid of all the grind marks and make sure there is no light reflecting off the side and end edges. Sore hands are optional.

Cramps = hydration while working hard. Now.... WAX??? paraffin, or bees?

Cramps can also be due to overuse or prolonged tension in muscles that are un-used to being abused by a hobby guy with coarse grind marks on his stupid tool. :(

Wax = stick wax lubricant, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Stick-Wax-Metal-Working-Lubricant/dp/B00H9P0T0U. One tube will last you maybe 10 years or so. You just touch it to the running belt for maybe a few seconds and it reduces the grinding temperature and friction significantly.

EDIT: stick wax is a great lube for bandsaw blades and hacksaws. Cuts much faster, easier and no mess from coolant systems. Works for drilling, tapping, too. Might even work for diaper rash but not sure about that.

Last edited:
Back