Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

I'll be forwarding the ones I have on Monday.

Hey Barry, Glad they showed up - - finally - - 10 days to get to you!

Now that you have them in hand & mike's write-ups it's going to be a piece of cake!

Glad I could help!

Dave

Tell me about it, my wife normally checks the mail during the day and I was often going in the evening in case stuff got delivered late for some reason. Just the other day she asked what I was all excited about and when I told her (tried my best to explain) what I was expecting she rolled her eyes and shook her head. Today I showed her the tools and she had a good laugh "You've been waiting for those three little things?!?!"
Some people just don't get it! :D

Well, tonight I ground a left hand square tool to put in my small flycutter. It cut great and the finish was more than acceptable. I started with a small nose radius and will add to that tomorrow to see that what effect it will have. The tool is about 2" diameter and I was spinning it at 400 rpm cutting mild steel. I will also try different spindle speeds while I'm at it tomorrow just ran out of time tonight.

IMG_3750.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG

Last edited:
Keep us posted on your LH tool, Jeff. A square tool should work, especially since the relief angles are increased. It may help to increase your back rake to focus the forces at the tip; I would try 18 degrees and see if it helps. In fact, I would try increasing back rake and see if it alters the finish. Then try increasing the nose radius after that. I will bet that increasing the back rake will do more than increasing the radius will.

Will do Mike, I'm thinking of trying different spindle speeds then going to the tool. I'll grind the 18* and give it a shot, then adjust the nose radius.

Hey guys,

I finished my copies of the turning and knife tools today. Gotta say, Mike's instructions were pretty clear and easy to follow. While the process was simple, it still took me a bit of time to get the setup correct on my grinder. I have a small 6" grinder with basic tool rest, which I modified slightly to make work. There are locking teeth on the rest which secure it at ~15* increments, but using Mike's tool as a reference I found it wasn't close enough. So I put a washer between the teeth to allow for unlimited adjustment.

I also used a ball point pen for layout lines on the tool rest surface, which cleaned up nice using Dykem fluid remover.

Having Mike's tools in hand made replicating them very easy. I used them to compare side by side with my tools as I progressed, and to setup the tool rest angle (15*). Also, for getting the layout lines established.

The next steps for me are to replicate the grind using HSS, which I may try tonight after the kids go to bed, and then try it out on various materials. I have some DMT credit card sized diamond sharpeners on order from Amazon, based on Mike's recommendation.

Mike, thank you very much for taking the time to make these tools for us to look at. As mentioned, having them in hand was extremely valuable and educational! Thank you thank you thank you!

Jeff, thank you very much for organizing the distribution of the tools! I'll package Mike's tools up and have them out tomorrow. I'll drop you a PM once they're gone.

Dave, thanks again for sending them to me!

DSCN0125.JPG

DSCN0127.JPG

Knife tool: Mike's on the left, mine on the right. I don't have a radius on the nose yet.
DSCN0128.JPG

Turning tool: Mike's on the left, mine on the right.
DSCN0129.JPG

Another angle of the turning tool. Mike's on top.
DSCN0130.JPG

Turning tool, Mike's on the left.
DSCN0131.JPG

Knife tool, Mike's on the left.
DSCN0132.JPG

Barry

Great job Barry, I can't tell the difference in the two
I agree, Mikey's write up is so easy to follow

I agree, Barry, its hard to tell which one is mine - you did a great job! It took me a long, long, long time to get my tools to look like yours and I am totally stoked that you guys are able to do this so fast. I've written a lot of stuff about tool grinding but it wasn't enough; it took the models to make it gel, or at least it looks that way.

Thank you for your kind words, Barry and Jeff, but more than that, I am thrilled with your success!

After some time off to deal with a nasty allergy, I tore open the package of the sample tools last night and decided to try my (totally inexperienced) hand at grinding some tools. It didn't take long to realize that I need a much more stable and secure grinding situation. Resting the grinder on my lap was apparently a bad idea. Just kidding.

The rest on the grinder only adjusts in one direction, so setting it to 15 degrees was impossible. I have another grinder that does adjust in two planes, but the wheel on it is the one that was there when it came from craigslist. It seems to be made of uncuttium.

So as a mature adult I decided to wait until I could get my setup fixed. Yeah, right. Tonight I went back down and cut the right hand tool using both grinders. It was a pain, but the alternative was waiting, and where's the fun in that? Anyway, I got it done. It's not nearly as pretty as Mikey's or Barry's, but I thought I'd give it a try. I had made a 1/4" version for use on my Sherline. All I can say is WOW! Either this really works or someone snuck into the basement softened the piece of aluminum I grabbed out of the pile.

As a total newbie I had bought a cheap set of indexable tools from eBay or Amazon, or wherever, thinking that this is the newer technology---it must be better. (I should know better at my age.) They work, I've made a few things successfully and learned to live within the limits of the machine and my lack of skill. Cutting 6061 T6, I could reliably take .020 cuts and get a decent finish. With my first attempt at Mikey's HSS tool I can take .050 cuts in the same material. Colour me amazed. And very grateful.

Now to get some grinding wheels of a known quality. I think my Santa is list is already full, so I don't think CBN is in my near future, but probably some Norton AO wheels will make this much easier. And a proper adjustable tool rest. Maybe I'll try making one, I know I saw some plans on this site somewhere.

Huge thanks to Mikey for a major chunk of my machining education.

Back