Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Bonehead sounds very much like me! Except for the being great at grinding lathe tool bits.

I know it looks like I'm making stuff up about Bonehead but I'm being quite honest. He really exists, everything I quote is real (including his wife's statements) and he really is unfortunate-looking. A more obstinate curmudgeon is unlikely to exist but he is also the most brilliant natural engineer I have ever seen. He has been my friend, hunting and fishing partner and collaborator for almost 40 years and I know no other human who lacks as many social skills. He keeps life interesting, that's for sure.

From what I have seen, Randall, you aren't even close to being like Bonehead - you're too normal!

So just wondering, how are you guys doing with the models? For me the models and Mikey's write up together made all this angle stuff add up in my head. I had read about two years ago his write up on a different site one night and attempted his way of grinding tools and did have some success because I did end up with tools that worked, as a mater of fact I reground those tools with the models in hand and I think they work better now. I will keep those as standards and still use them but if I need or want to grind different angles I will grind new tools. A big thank you to Mikey and Jeff for there efforts to teach us because I do understand the time and effort to make this happen. :clapping:

I have them now and will make some tomorrow and over the weekend.
Yes, big thanks to them for taking time out of their schedules for this.

For me the models and Mikey's write up together made all this angle stuff add up in my head; ... if I need or want to grind different angles I will grind new tools.

Todd, Duane, thank you for your kind words. This is what I had hoped to see - clarity, and the ability to make tools that do what you need them to do.

I'm sure more questions will pop up from me, Most of my work is just for repair or fun no real extreme accuracy required which has been nice because that way I set the bar as to how accurate things are. The bar is usually very high and you will never imagine how long it will take to do simple things. If the part is for someone else I always ask them for tolerances then do my best to exceed what they ask for. If they knew the quality of some of my measuring tools or the lack thereof they might think twice. I have noticed that at least on the lathe with my "new" tools accuracy seems easier to hold. As far as Bonehead goes he sounds like a good guy to know even if he is a bit hard to get along with, lucky he isn't a practical joker. Something I remember that was funny from about a year ago a friend of the family asked if I could drill a hole through a pin for him I told him sure draw me a picture with dimensions and what not and drop it off which he did promptly. Did you guys know you can drill a .750 hole through a .500 piece of shaft, I handed him a baggie full of chips the next day and he asked what that was all about. We got a big laugh when I showed him the "blueprint" he gave me and then I gave him the .750 shaft with a .500 hole.

Cracked me up! I have to remember that "bag of chips" trick when someone gives me a drawing with stupid dimensions on it. Most of my friends tell me they want it exactly something and then give me measurements in 32nds of an inch. They do not speak machinist.

You guys would actually really like Bonehead. He is a no-nonsense kind of guy with a low BS-tolerance but once you get to know him he sort of grows on you ... like a fungus. Everyone who does know him well respects him, as do I.

My son who knows better and does CAD work for a living gave me a really nice set of drawings one night drawn on scrap paper with a grocery list on the other side and said make these parts. Asked what the tolerance level was he replied +or- 1/4 inch I'll make them fit. Parts were plates to tie construction lumber together for a hog barn repair. Honestly that's even a bit loose tolerance wise for me

Hey guys,

Just got the tool bits in the mail today. I picked up some key stock last week and the grinder is ready to go, so I'll get started on my copies soon and have them out on Tuesday (Monday is Thanksgiving).

Dave, thanks for volunteering to send them up north! It is greatly appreciated.

I'll post pics up once I get some grinding done.

Mike's grind:
IMG_20171006_134448.jpg

Barry

Glad to hear that you received them

Back