Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

You didn't waste any time jumping right in. Looks good!

Other things i discovered while grinding the 3 sample tools - -
1) the platen on my belt grinder is not rigid enough.
2) Belt grinder motor is a wimp - it's 30 years old & from harbor freight
3) Table is definitely not rigid enough - flexes down from left to right under pressure (is
only held on left side by one bolt.
4) No easy, accurate & repeatable way to place angles on table

So, basically, belt sander is crap - - good for general roughing & / or wood sanding in garage. OH BOY, VALID EXCUSE TO BUY A NEW TOOL!!

I'm also convinced you need a new grinder;).

Received the models today at noon in the mail, looked at them ate lunch, then had to go back to work. :cry: Will have time to try tomorrow to grind my own unless the wife goes to bed early then tonight is the night! Thoughts of sleeping pills come to mind though, not for me but someone else. :devil: Cant wait to try but I really need to finish the rush project I started yesterday for a coworker or maybe not, :cool:

OK all, I just received Mikey's model tool in the mail (Monday @ 12:00 noon Calif. time). Started to run right out to the garage when wife grabbed me by the ear and said "eat lunch first because I know I won't see you till after dinner time". So, dutifully obeying - I choked down lunch and THEN ran out to the garage!

Note - I'm a complete newbie on lathe tool grinding!

First thing I did was to cut and pasted all of Mikey's write-ups into one single MS Word document (all 23 pages of write ups! Hell of a task and job well done by Mikey, I might add!). Printed it out and into the garage I went. Started with the basic RH cutting tool. Followed the instructions step - by - step and compared my tool to the Sample Tool. It was amazing, even on my old rickety belt sander it took less than 20 minutes to grind. And, this is with me going from 36 grit, to polish with 80, and then just for S%its & Giggle's 220 grit. finished off with honing it. IT CAME OUT GREAT!!!!! and the bloody thing is SHARP!

Apparently, for me at least, what has been missing was a simple step - by - step walk thru to make it clear and easy to do!

Other things i discovered while grinding the 3 sample tools - -
1) the platen on my belt grinder is not rigid enough.
2) Belt grinder motor is a wimp - it's 30 years old & from harbor freight
3) Table is definitely not rigid enough - flexes down from left to right under pressure (is
only held on left side by one bolt.
4) No easy, accurate & repeatable way to place angles on table

So, basically, belt sander is crap - - good for general roughing & / or wood sanding in garage. OH BOY, VALID EXCUSE TO BUY A NEW TOOL!!

Attached is a photo of the tool model (bright shiny tool on right) and my grind (dull color on left). Note: I had not put the slight rounding of the nose on my tool when this photo was taken.

View attachment 242582

A final note - - after grinding the 3 samples tools in key stock - I duplicated this RH tool in a cheap Chicom metal HSS tool blank I had laying around. Put it in the tool holder in my Sherline lathe & started making cuts I never would have thought possible on this small lathe.

THANK YOU MIKEY FOR TAKING THE TIME & PUTTING IN THE EFFORT TO HELP US NEWBIE'S LEARN & GROW IN THIS HOBBY! (and yes, I did blame you for needing the new belt sander when I told the wife!)

Dave Harris

ps, It's now 2:30 Calif. time & I'm prepping the 3 sample tools to send up to Canada tomorrow! So, in roughly 2 hours I cut the 3 sample tools, one HSS tool and made some cuts!

Glad you got the models done without too much trouble, Dave. Your tool came out really nice so obviously something is clicking for you guys here. Is it the model or the description or both? In the past, I've tried to make it simple but failed so something we're doing is different. Anyway, congratulations, Sir!

23 pages? Not from this thread, right? Actually, it takes a lot of words to convey understanding. Would that I could just talk to you guys and show you first hand but that isn't going to happen so this is the next best thing.

Anyway, now you know how easy it is to grind a tool. Now you need to try making some material-specific tools and then you'll be on your way.

Good for you, Dave. Now we have you, Jeff and Tom grinding better tools. That's a win in my book.

Ground all three models in keystock because all I have on hand is Stellite or mo-max bits. Belt grinder needs new belts after the last project and of course no one in town carries 1x42 belts. now I have samples so that's a good thing. I have ground Mikey's bits from a posting he had elsewhere but the models helped me understand better. The models are off to the next recipient as of about 30 minutes ago. Thanks Mikey!!!!

I could've just drove over and picked them up.

Wish we could have done that. To top it off I will be in Rochester this weekend for a wedding.

Sorry guys, I missed that you were that close together.

I got the models from Mike a few days ago, they were as expected, my young friend who is starting out will get a copy that I make for him. Been grinding tools a long time, but seeing Mike's first hand was helpful. Anyone who wants to learn how to grind HSS would be well advised to take part in this generous offer to have the tools for a few days for the cost of shipping.

michael

Back