Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Hi Mikey, WOW! Great dissertation! I am surprised at the severe angles. I printed it and am posting it in my shop. I use 1/4" on the Sherline and 3/8" on the seven inch. Gonna have fun trying these. BTW I covet your 11". I have a couple of friends with the MaxiMat11. Dynamite lathe. My 7" has the mid bed milling column but I don't use it as it is inconvenient. Again thank you so very much for your Information.
Regards, Les

You're welcome, Les. Let me know if I can help and I would love to hear how those tools work for you. I know the angles are different from what you're used to but its worth a try, right?

Yup, love my little Emco lathe. There are 11" lathes, and then there are 11" lathes!

Hi Mike
If you are going to the trouble to make the tools I'd be more that happy to help if needed.
Im very new to hobby machining and tool grinding so I'll take all the guidance I can get. Absolutely no offense taken.

Thanks for stepping up, Jeff, and welcome to the HM forum! You will like it here and we're happy to have you.

Okay, so Jeff will be the contact guy to get on the list to receive the tool sets. Please PM him to be included. First come, first served except I will choose who gets the sets first. From there, they will go out according to the order on the list. Just to be clear, the guy who has the set has to pay for flat rate USPS Priority Mail shipping to the next guy on the list.

Let's decide how long each guy can keep the set. One week, two, more?

Jeff, I consider the names and addresses of the guys on the list to be private and privileged information and I'm sure you will agree that it should be kept on your computer and not remain on the HM server for all to see. When we have a list, send it to me via PM and I'll choose the first three.

Thanks for stepping up, Jeff, I appreciate your help.

Mike

I'll populate the three lists in the order that I receive the PM request. 1st, 4th,7th go on list A, 2nd, 5th, 8th go on list B,
3rd, 6th, 9th go on list C, you get the idea. After Mike chooses the first three recipients then I will make the list in order received. I think a week would be long enough to study the tools and duplicate a set of your own. Let us know what you think.
Mike, thanks again for doing this for all of us new to tool grinding and those who are not.
Let the PM's begin.

Thanks for coordinating! I'll have to get some stuff ordered so I can copy them.

So, to practice and copy these, I would want to get some 3/8" square keystock? I know I need real HSS to cut with eventually, but it sounds like the keystock is better for practice and cheaper as well.

Key stock is most definitely cheaper and much easier to get.

Guys, when you PM to get on the list please include an address. I will PM each of you when you will be receiving the models and I will include a name and address of who you will be forwarding them to when you are done. This should go smoothly once we get rolling.
Thanks

So, to practice and copy these, I would want to get some 3/8" square keystock? I know I need real HSS to cut with eventually, but it sounds like the keystock is better for practice and cheaper as well.

Mild steel keystock can be found in the hardware store. It is best to get the size closest to the tool bits you intend to work with on your lathe. Cut them into 3" long pieces so you get used to working with bit-sized pieces. Use some of them to reproduce the models but stick with them to practice grinding lathe tools until you can grind it exactly the way you want it. It takes a little while for your brain and hands to coordinate and keystock is much easier to grind than HSS and way easier to grind than cobalt. If you want your lathe tools to actually look like lathe tools, keystock is how you learn to do that.

I have six members signed up already. Room for many more so spread the word.

Back