Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Mike, the idea is great , I would love to own a RH facing/turning bit that you have ground but I'll be honest with you, for a newbie like myself , this bit will be something to look at and compare other bits with periodically as a reference piece, it is not something I could let go after a short while. if you remember I bought a "training set" from LMS but it is a basic set and I still would like to have a single bit made by you for my own personal use.
I know it may sound selfish but that's how I feel about it.

Ken, thanks for being honest. Let's you and I discuss this in a PM - contact me when you have time. I'm partly responsible for egging you on about being lathe-less so I feel some responsibility ... ;)

I think that is a great idea. I've been grinding my tools for some time but have fallen into bad habits resulting in non-standard tools (my own special misshapen grinds). They seem to work, but I'm not sure why.
It would be nice to compare those to a properly ground tool.

Thanks for your input, Groundhog. I plan to grind modified tools that work for me. They will not be standard tools that you can grind from the data found in any tool grinding table. The models I have in mind should work better than a standard geometry tool but whether they are "proper", I don't know.

Mikey, Thank for taking the time to do this. I think it is a great idea count me in. Thomas S.

Brilliant idea Mikey!!! and your write-up of the tools / grinds will be invaluable to close the loop for all of us newbies!!

Well done Sir!

Dave Harris

I think this is a great idea! Thanks for offering to do something like this. I may have to order some blanks even without yet having a lathe just to have some grinding time with a reference in hand.

I may have to start a thread about grinder upgrades. My HF grinder is kinda crappy.. But with some work on the rest it might be usable to start with.

Okay, there seems to be some interest. Now we need to decide which tools to include in the set. I agree with Todd that a RH turning tool and threading tool would be a good idea but I'm not married to the idea. What do you guys think?

I think a knife tool would be a good addition but since you can face with a turning tool, it might not be what you want. Just know that a knife tool will face better than a turning tool and is excellent for thin work sizing cuts. It will take a whisper-thin cut on a small diameter work piece and it also works pretty good for chamfering. Since facing is a basic lathe operation it is a good tool to know how to grind but its up to you guys. Let me know.

Thanks for your input, Groundhog. I plan to grind modified tools that work for me. They will not be standard tools that you can grind from the data found in any tool grinding table. The models I have in mind should work better than a standard geometry tool but whether they are "proper", I don't know.
Actually I was being sarcastic. I have been grinding my tools improperly (although they seem to work most times!) and would like properly ground tools to compare my poorly ground tools with. I need to break my bad habits.

Actually I was being sarcastic. I have been grinding my tools improperly (although they seem to work most times!) and would like properly ground tools to compare my poorly ground tools with. I need to break my bad habits.

Mike, I hope my models meet your expectations. If they help you in any way then I'll be happy but don't expect too much - they're just turning tools.

I keep saying this but nobody can possibly make an uglier tool with more facets than I did as a beginner. I thought I tossed those early tools but I may have some of my early efforts somewhere in this shop; if I can find them I will show them so you know I'm not kidding.

Obviously, I'm coming at this with little practical knowledge... I would like to have an example of at least the most common tools. Turning, threading, and facing being the most obvious. The knife tool sounds useful.

One thing that comes to mind is surface finish. It sounds like a tool with a larger radius gives a better finish. Rough and finish versions of one of the tools might be useful.

Perhaps number them with matching examples from written info or times in the video? So we can read/watch while looking at the tool? I don't want to make a lot of work for you, so feel free to do whatever. Just thinking out loud as a beginner.

Thanks, Mike! For you experienced guys, this may not be of interest but I remember all too well what my tools looked like when I started - they were pretty bad!!!

<SNIP> Now I can triple that 0.020" deep cut in 12L14 mild steel with my Square Tool and have no chatter on a Sherline lathe; <SNIP>

I've used my Sherline for 20 years and can't even imagine a .060 depth even in brass. How do you do that?

Back