• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I would make a new platen from 1/4" thick steel. Make the base, weld the platen to it, then box the sides with flat plates welded to the platena and base. Then I would make the slot long enough to allow you to epoxy on a Pyroceram liner. A boxed structure should be solid enough.
I can work on that. Shucks now I'm back at a 1,000,000, and 1 things to do again.....:faint::grin:

mikey

Active User
I can work on that. Shucks now I'm back at a 1,000,000, and 1 things to do again.....:faint::grin:
Yeah, sorry about that but a platen that stays flat and solid is a joy to use. One that moves in use is next to worthless. Once you get the platen sorted, you need to figure out how to index the table quickly and precisely. THEN tool grinding is simple and easy. I kid you not, I can now grind a square tool in about 3 minutes with these new ceramic belts, and the tool will be accurate.

mikey

Active User
Models arrived from Canada today' They look great. Awesome job on the packaging. Now, have to find some me time.
I'm interested to hear how they work for you, Bryan. Different from your tools at work, that's for sure.

Aukai

I'm getting much faster at not getting it quite right:rolleyes:LOL ran out of time tonight. I have to go back, and get a couple more 3" pieces.

mikey

Active User
Aukai, are you using a push block or just your hands?

Draw the line on top of the tool and keep that line parallel with the belt. As you get closer and closer to the line, it will be easier to do this. Take your time and grind one single flat using the push block to steer.

Aukai

Aukai, are you using a push block or just your hands?

Draw the line on top of the tool and keep that line parallel with the belt. As you get closer and closer to the line, it will be easier to do this. Take your time and grind one single flat using the push block to steer.
The shorter length added to the heat, I am using a block, give it another shot tomorrow, sneaking up on it....

bfk

Apologies to those of you waiting for the samples. I thought I had sent them on weeks ago, but they were still on the bench, hiding under some papers. It was only when Z2V asked about them last night that I realized my mistake.
They are now on their way to California.

I owe you all one virtual beer. May be turned into an actual beer if you visit Eugene.

Brian

EmilioG

Active User
Great thread. Thank you Mikey. Doing this is help so many and saving a lot of good lathe tools from a horrible, munged up, distorted end.
I'll start with a bench grinder until I can get a decent belt sander/platen mod set up. Looking at the Metabo bench grinder for now.
Ordering some key stock from McMasters while my C-L, Rex and MoxMax bits patiently await their turn. I'll be using the shops lathe for now, (alas, I too am latheless. :( I see that a lot of people are now using tool holders with inserts. Future? I still want to learn to grind by hand. Thanks Mikey.

mikey

Active User
Thanks, Emilio. I hope this thread helps you to grind a good tool that will go with your future lathe. Knowing you, it will be a really good one.

Yeah, most hobby guys use inserted carbide tools and I don't blame them - easy to use, no grinding and so on. I have them, too, and I also know how to use them but since they are appropriate for only a small proportion of my work I use HSS most of the time. I'm fortunate that I have the option to choose; way too many guys don't.

Z2V

Mikey’s models are making their rounds. The feedback has been very good from all that have had them. The list is getting short so if your on the list and have not had them yet you are likely next.
If you have been following this thread and have note put your name on the list now is a great time to do so.

Again, Mike, thanks for putting this together for all our benefit.

mikey

Active User
Again, Mike, thanks for putting this together for all our benefit.
You're welcome, Jeff. It's been a fun thread and seeing you guys grind and enjoy your tools has made all the work worthwhile.

My little shop extension has reached the stage where everything, including my grinder, is buried or inaccessible so I cannot grind the shear tool yet but I have not forgotten. I will get to it and post the results here when I do.

tweinke

Active User
I also want thank you guys again! I never posted pictures and well I do have a couple but can not figure out how to get them from my phone to the computer, that and a lack of time. I have spent my free time dreaming up a 2x72 grinder that will not require any welding. the grand plan for no welding is because it will be a challenge for my mind and may help someone else with no welder just a mill and possibly a lathe. So far things appear promising, I have the main body figured out and am working on the tensioner arm. I need to get more steel to continue but I hate to go back to the local welding shop because he offered to sell me his carbide grinder for $100.00. Its behind a bunch of stuff so I couldn't see it real well but it appears to be a Baldor. I'm torn on that deal and probably should get it or regret it later. Any input on that? The belt grinder would continue either way.

mikey

Active User
... he offered to sell me his carbide grinder for $100.00. Its behind a bunch of stuff so I couldn't see it real well but it appears to be a Baldor. I'm torn on that deal and probably should get it or regret it later. Any input on that? The belt grinder would continue either way.
Buy it, quick!

ttabbal

I'm thinking about one of my first projects being a belt grinder. Just got a free treadmill to tear down for the motor and maybe some other useful bits. The lathe is on the way and I could use it to make the pulleys. I kind of liked making the tool copies.

tweinke

Active User
Oh oh I see that you are heading toward a tool dependency issue! :grin: The first stage is justifying the making or purchase of more tools. That's ok though we are here to help you!

I'm thinking about one of my first projects being a belt grinder. Just got a free treadmill to tear down for the motor and maybe some other useful bits. The lathe is on the way and I could use it to make the pulleys. I kind of liked making the tool copies.

tweinke

Active User
Is that just because you have the same problem as many of us: not nearly enough room in the shop? Hope you get to put the grinder to good use!

Yup. Note to self when you build a garage or storage building, plan for the size you need then double it and when building double again. Surprisingly the wife actually supported this purchase.

Z2V

My belt grinder is slowly coming together. Threaded some 1/2” rod for the wheels this evening and will cut some spacers tomorrow after I get home from defensive driving. I have a 3 hp treadmill motor for it. Heck the table it’s sitting on was a treadmill.
I plan to make some aluminum wheels but these will do to get it up and running.
Yes Mikey, I have glass for the platen too, thanks for the tip!

5E196F55-739E-4E3B-B17C-D97F37C40BD5.jpeg

Last edited:
Container Above bottom breadcrumb