Model Engines - Gnome and Aeronca

Charley, depending on the displacement of the individual cylinders, I'm thinking a small motorcycle carb might let you get it running. The Honda CT90 had a horizontal-flow carb. If it's too big, there were lots of 50cc bikes built. Using that would give you time to research making an 'authentic' carb.

Thanks everyone for your replies regarding fuel/air supply for the Gnome.
It's all making more sense now ... when the piston valves were eliminated, the attempt to mix fuel and air at the crankshaft "intake" was given up on as well.
That matches with my understanding of how a simple "fuel wand" was used on these engines that was feed through a "mixture control" by gravity or in some cases with a pressure assist on the tank.

I've setup my model to use a fuel wand but instead of a simple drip tube I've put an atomizer on the crankcase end to create a mist of fuel rather than a stream. That has lead to cheating with an electric fuel pump though, to get enough pressure for the atomizer to work. The pump speed is finely adjustable so I hope to be able to find a setting that works well - as mentioned, it is a single-speed engine after all.

Just finished the oil and fuel piping yesterday so now on to the final "part" ... the propeller. Wood work - messy but necessary.

Cheers
Charlie

Back