Model Crane

Wheat47

Registered
Registered
Hello, all. Some years ago (maybe 40 yrs.), I ordered the plans for a scratch-built crawler crane/dragline. I think (not sure) they came from Wash. state.
It was a fair-sized crane; I think the boom was 6 feet or so. The control stand he made replicated a true crane operator's station. At the time it was built,
there weren't the nice R/C devices we have today, so it was wire control. As I recall the dragline bucket was 4 or 5 inches wide.
Supposedly, it was so good, some company bought the model crane to training new operators.
The hoisting mechanism was rather complex, so I kinda it put on a very back burner. Lately, I've been studying some R/C things for another
project, and I got to thinking today's R/C devices might make easier to make the draw works.
Anyway, after a move or two, I've misplaced the plans. I am hoping someone else might accidently have a copy of those plans.
Or perhaps other dragline project plans. I have a set of plans the crane from John-Tom models (which I'm working on, very slowly), but it is only a crane
and has only 2 functions....boom lift and hook lift.

If anyone has those plans or similar plans, I would be glad to pay for copies. Or if you just want to chat about projects.

I looked over Dhal's big crane, but I'm more interested in crawler cranes.

Best reach me at jjklas@montana.net
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Jon

Hello, all. Some years ago (maybe 40 yrs.), I ordered the plans for a scratch-built crawler crane/dragline. I think (not sure) they came from Wash. state.
It was a fair-sized crane; I think the boom was 6 feet or so. The control stand he made replicated a true crane operator's station. At the time it was built,
there weren't the nice R/C devices we have today, so it was wire control. As I recall the dragline bucket was 4 or 5 inches wide.
Supposedly, it was so good, some company bought the model crane to training new operators.
The hoisting mechanism was rather complex, so I kinda it put on a very back burner. Lately, I've been studying some R/C things for another
project, and I got to thinking today's R/C devices might make easier to make the draw works.
Anyway, after a move or two, I've misplaced the plans. I am hoping someone else might accidently have a copy of those plans.
Or perhaps other dragline project plans. I have a set of plans the crane from John-Tom models (which I'm working on, very slowly), but it is only a crane
and has only 2 functions....boom lift and hook lift.

If anyone has those plans or similar plans, I would be glad to pay for copies. Or if you just want to chat about projects.

I looked over Dhal's big crane, but I'm more interested in crawler cranes.

Best reach me at jjklas@montana.net
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Jon

My crane or the monster on RC Groups? I build rc planes......

Guys, check this absurdity out.

Sounds like a very interesting project, will be watching this closely. Any information on availability of plans would be very welcome.

Yes. That's exactly what I'm looking for. The one I was looking at was scratch built. I can't remember the dimensions of the house and such
but I remember the boom being about 6' long. Probably much like the one in Dhal's posts. Kinda thinking about scaling up the one in the
John-Tom plans, at least a little bit. Maybe making the house a bit taller to allow for added functions, at least a swing movement.
Travel might be a bit more challenging.
Thanks for the rely.

Sorry for the double post. Still figuring out this site.
Jon

I remember seeing a steam shovel and drag at Rough & Tumble , Kinzer Pa
. Very cool watching in person .

I remember seeing a steam shovel and drag at Rough & Tumble , Kinzer Pa
. Very cool watching in person .
Back home, I knew an ole' guy (Joe) that had two Bantam units mounted on old IHC tandem trucks. He had a cable backhoe on one and a dragline on the other. The story goes, he went to Ft. Peck Dam during construction looking for a job. He finally got thru the line and got to the window.
The clerk asked him "What can you do?" Joe says, "What do you need?" Clerks says, "Dragline operators. Are you experienced?"
Joe says, "no, but I can learn." Clerk says, "Nope, experienced only. Next guy!!" So, the story goes, Joe went out that night, found a dragline sitting idle, fired it up, moved a pile of gravel, the moved it back. Next day, he went to the hiring line and says, "I'm experienced!" He was hired!!
He was a darn good operator. I watched him load gravel trucks with the dragline and dig basements with the backhoe. He was a smooth and easy operator. He did great work.

For the first time ever, I went to Rolog, Mn for their Labor Day show. It was great. They had one small building
for the guys with miniature engines and what not. Spent a fair amount of time there, watching, "drooling" , and visiting.
Down in the "sandbox', they had three (count'em, three!!) real steam shovels,
(Steam, not diesel or gas!!!) fired up and working!!! What treat to see them work!!! There was a diesel dragline there, also, but I didn't see
it work.

Back