Model 40 - Spindle bearings - NDs

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not sure what happened last night but it either blew a seal or a bearing went out.
I was machining up some 3/8" plate on the rotab and gray goop started dropping out of the spindle.
Looked kinda like lapping compound.

Any way I'm trying to find replacement bearings.
The 'parts' manual calls out for:
ND3206WT (885-002-007 or C38) for the upper.
ND0L07DB (885-005-002) for the lower.

Looking for opinions - I was wondering if I should go with NOS or try to cross reference them
to something new?

Also has anyone here ever replaced the bearings in a Model 40?

The two pages below are out of the wells-index manual for the #40.

Thanks,
_Dan
Index-Spindle_Bearings_001.jpg
Index-Spindle_Bearings_Other-Style_002.jpg

Index-Spindle_Bearings_001.jpg Index-Spindle_Bearings_Other-Style_002.jpg

i wouldn't get too hung up on the manufacturer. i would suggest getting the best bearings you can afford to put in it .
ND3206WT is an angular contact ball bearing and is still available
the
ND0L07DB didn't come up in a search so if you were to get dimensions there may be other options.
it appears to be a double row or possibly 2 angular contact ball bearings stacked together. i can't say for certain which.
upon disassembly it would be easily determined.

it does look a lot like a double row bearing though

You might consider buying both top bearings, the single and double row for the top, Then return the one that you don't need. That way you aren't stuck waiting for the exact replacement. Nothing is worse than having to wait for UPS to deliver you a package after you have forgotten how it goes back together.

Bob

You will need bearing dimensions to order.

0L07 -- ID 1.3780 ---- OD 2.4409 ---- W .5512 Light Angular Bearing, you will need 2

3206 -- ID 1.1181 ---- OD 2.4409 ---- W .6291 Single Row Radial

5507 -- ID .9843 ---- OD 2.0472 ---- W .8125 Double Row Bearing

Interchangeability I have only on the 3206

ND 3206 --- MRC 206-S --- Federal 1206 --- Fafnir 206K --- Norma 206 --- SKF 6206

Hope all this helps. As for the bearing spec, it changes with each manufacturer. Get the best you can afford. All of this info is out of the ND Handbook Edition 16 Vol. #1

"Billy G"

You will need bearing dimensions to order.
<.........................>

Hope all this helps. As for the bearing spec, it changes with each manufacturer. Get the best you can afford. All of this info is out of the ND Handbook Edition 16 Vol. #1

"Billy G"

Thanks Billy. And that's the book you mentioned to me in my other post about
all those manuals I scored from the estate sale isn't it? < insert 'head-smak' emoticon here. >

I cannot even begin to wonder about the seals, I'm hoping that they will be standard.
Now if I take it apart will I be able to get it back together correctly is the other question.
<insert head-smak="" emoticon="" here...="">

_Dan</insert>

That ND Handbook is in 2 volumes. The info in them on bearings is priceless. As you can see from what I posted. This is not the first time I have had to go back into them. Don't lose that book. Out of all the ones you scored, that is the most valuable IMHO.

"Billy G"

Back