[Newbie] Mobile Base for Lathe?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What are the thoughts about wheels or a mobile base on a lathe? All of my other (woodworking) equipment is on mobile bases, which makes the space in my shop much more flexible. Is it crazy to consider having a lathe on wheels that could raised and lowered so the machine could be relatively easily moved when not in use?

I rhink it cud be done if there is a way to jack it up and down off the casters. You would have to level it all over again each time

I'm thinking either outriggers with either Carrymaster casters that have integral feet, or a combination of Albion casters and leveling feet. I don't know that I'll move it much, but definitely like the option to do so.

There are some slick designs for milling machines on this site, but I haven't seen anything for lathes. The Bridgeport designs should be adaptable to a lathe.

I'd been looking at smaller lathes that seem more manageable for a hobbyist, but think I will be happier for longer with something on the order of a 13/30 gap bed, which is seriously heavy.

I'm thinking either outriggers with either Carrymaster casters that have integral feet, or a combination of Albion casters and leveling feet. I don't know that I'll move it much, but definitely like the option to do so.

There are some slick designs for milling machines on this site, but I haven't seen anything for lathes. The Bridgeport designs should be adaptable to a lathe.

I'd been looking at smaller lathes that seem more manageable for a hobbyist, but think I will be happier for longer with something on the order of a 13/30 gap bed, which is seriously heavy.

If you go with casters, the Carrymaster AC-1000 can handle over 4000 lbs per set of four casters. I would suggest not using outriggers but would instead mount them to the cabinet itself to limit flexing. This would allow mobility and a way to adjust the level of the cabinet. You do have to re-level the lathe every time you move it but so what? Those of us who use casters just get good at leveling quickly.

Wood working machines, (generally) dont require the accuracy of setup that lathes do, so making them portable is much simpler. Your lathe need not be level. If your stand is solid enough to withstand any flex then the lathe wont need to be checked for accuracy, (which is completely different to level), and is not something that you get good at quickly.
Lathes are notoriously top heavy. You would want some way to ensure that it is not too tippy when moving. Outriggers may be a requirement for that. Which then brings in new problems with manouverability. I would be looking for a spot where you can set up your lathe permanently.

Cheers Phil

Mikey, Phil,
Thanks. I'm hoping an Acra or equivalent 13x40 lathe is rigid enough not to flex when supported by its designed foot positions. Setting up the tool accuracy is definitely not something I want to do more than once. It does make sense that the highest performance would be achieved by rigidly bolting a lathe to a concrete slab.

Not knowing the center of gravity, the outriggers seem to make sense if I can get away with a mobile base.
Evan

It seems the site was down today, and with it took this post from Phil. I'm reposting it here as Phil makes some very good points.

Evan,
13x40 is getting a bit too big to hope for zero flex in the stand after moving. Its also pretty high up on the "tippy" scale.
If you have the requirement for a lathe of that size then I really think you need to look at your workshop layout. Its really not practical to expect that much lathe to be "portable" At over a 1000# (+ some sort of earthquake proof stand) is not something to sneeze at. That sort of machine should be capable, (when correctly set up) of precision to the 0.0005" You will not get that if it is not satisfactorily set up. And if you dont need that sort of accuracy, and are happy with portability then why get it....? Not trying to be negative but you need to weigh up what you want, against what you need, against what really suits. I do understand you may have size/storage limitations to consider but you will not be happy with your machines performance if you expect to be able to wheel it out of a corner, whip up some bearing housings and a shaft to suit. There are work arounds to suit poor machine positioning. More so than satisfactory portability setups

Cheers Phil​

Phil,
You make some good points. I don't "need" a 13x40, it's just that the lathes I've found smaller than that seem lacking (although I am planning to look at a Sears Commercial/Atlas 12x36 this weekend that seems to hit all the right notes if it's in good shape).

I found a few threads on Practical Machinist, and a reference to a Leblond mobile lathe that came with wheels (see link below). So while it may be a bad idea, I'm not the first one to have it;)

http://www.lathes.co.uk/leblond/

My lathe has to move from time to time and if it has to move then I move it. Then I re-level it and get on with it and I've had zero issues with accuracy after the fact. As long as the lathe is solidly supported after you move it back and re-level it then there really aren't any issues. If you think that a cabinet doesn't move on a bolted down lathe then you are in for a surprise; all lathes require occasional/periodic re-leveling.

It comes down to your individual situation. If you can plant the lathe somewhere and know you never have to move it to maintain it or install a DRO or whatever, then bolt it down and be happy. If you have to move it or think you may have to, then make it easy to do so.

I recently made a stand for a cnc machine. it only weighs about 450lbs but I used 3" square 1/8" wall tubing which added another 250lbs to the weight. Anyway I used leveling castors on the legs like these :
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_10?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=footmaster+leveling+caster&sprefix=footmaster,tools,259&crid=1YXJ6FMSI5H0B
I believe they make them to support up to 3300lbs per wheel. They aren't cheap, but work very well and allow you to move the machine easily and then lock down the leg and level easily. A great option if you want to make your own steel stand.

Back