[Newbie] Mitutoyo 513-518 dial test set...... for a beginner?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Don't want to go Intrepid for now. Figuring the Mitutoyo 513-518 DTI set might be a good first dial test indicator and I already have a 3/8" collet for my Johansson B12 mill ... was also considering a Bestest [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]7031-5 but the Mit's cheaper and comes with accessories.... What say ye, please?[/FONT]

I would go with the mit,IMHO they are as good as any of them.
Bill L.

You certainly can't go wrong with the Mitutoyo. I have Starrett, Federal, Mitutoyo, SPI, no difference in any of them. Wished for Interapid, but got sticker shock.:))

Thanks guys. After all the hemming and hawing I guess I talked myself into a Bestest 599-7031-3. I'll hopefully have it for a long time...if I don't break it! :eek: Regarding the Mitutoyos, almost everybody says they're simply "ok" and LI Indicator gives their "Pocket" 512 and 518 models a decent writeup.....but again, everyone says get the best measuring tools you can. So I blew my lunch money for a couple of weeks.... I haven't had a PB&J sandwich in years! :biggrin:

I have a drawer full of test indicators, and I find the later Mits not all that great. I have a black face B&S that I use most of the time. I like the contrast of the white grads better for my eyes. I think you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Back