Mitee-Grip

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
MiteeBite Inc. is sending me some samples of MiteeGrip to evaluate.
It's a wax based material used to hold down parts for milling, surface grinding and more.
It sounds promising. I have a few projects where the clamps may get in the way and MiteeGrip
just may be a good solution. It will work to hold stop and location blocks for repeat set ups., milling thin parts, etc..
If it doesn't tear off, I will use it.

http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee-grip/

Last edited:
Looks very interesting. Wish that had been available before I went to the time and big expense of making vacuum plates for holding the thin aluminum plates for my emblems.
I tried super glue, double sided tape, various clamps, etc. Nothing would consistently keep the plates flat and immobile enough. I'm a little concerned that this product will be affected by the machining heat as is super glue.

Last edited:
Well, this was made for machining. MiteeBite has a good rep and I don't think they would tout a product for milling if the heat
caused a problem. It works on the principle of mechanical, chemical. Uses surface tension and is heat resistant. Made expressly for
milling and grinding flat, thin parts. Why would they sell something that doesn't work? We shall see how well.
It does state that for some parts, they should be lightly clamped.

Reading it says to use coolant when milling, Thus trying to keep the temp down. It starts to melt as185 or something like that. I would think it should work as long as cooled

Well, I always use coolant. This MiTeeGrip wax can probably be used to keep parallels in place., small pieces, like a strip., along the outside edge.
I have some other plans for it besides milling.

I agree that MiteeBite has a good rep. I own and use some of their clamping products with great success.

I am only stating my experience with bonding type of clamping in my particular application. Ethyl cyanoacrylates (super glues) have a working temp range up to about 180 degrees F. MiteeBite seems to suggest that MiteeGrip changes from a liquid to a solid at about 186 degrees (and that is the cooling cycle - not a heating cycle). I really don't know if that means anything and I guess I should have said that I am curious about heat related failure rather than concerned by it. I too am sure they aren't trying to sell a product that will not work. But Loctite told me that Super Glue Professional would work too and it bit me in the a**. My particular application is probably a bit abnormal.

I also use flood coolant am not sure why I have had trouble with super glue and the like (the flood coolant and long milling times played a big part in the failure of double sided tapes). I suspect that my high speed spindle and small endmills (29,000 rpm, 0.010" endmills at 15 - 25 ipm) may still cause high localized heat. Maybe spreading my cutting out around the part would be better than working on one area at a time?

At any rate being 3/4 way through a 6 hour job when your clamping system fails is no fun, thus the vacuum plates. At least if the power goes out and the vacuum pump quits the mill quits too!

I believe the wax fabric used surface tension and the heat helps to keep the wax soft enough to hold. I’m sure it’s not a cure all but useful in certain applications. I am milling some arbor removal wedges and mini toe clamps, so this wax may work with a small clamp holding one end.
How hot do your parts get when milling or drilling? I always thought it was the cutting tool that got hot? Could it be the coolant that dissolved the super glue?

Last edited:
Back