Mister or Flood

skeeter355

Registered
Registered
Big noobie in maching. Just bought a PM45 and seeing if guys are using the flood system that comes with the mill or using a mister system. Also what mister system do you recommend with this mill.

Thanks Skeeter

LOL... I guess you could say I use a Mister all right... On my PM45, it's a generic spray bottle with WD-40.

Everyone has different techniques and I look forward to hearing about the Misters. I've done flood cooling on both lathe and mill -and find it too messy for the one-off piecework I do and it obstructs my view of the part as I'm working on it. I'm not knocking it... just mentioning you might get a lot of viewpoints on this -all of which will be valid.

Hey, Darkzero/Will... You use misters, right? Chime in please.

Ray

Big noobie in maching. Just bought a PM45 and seeing if guys are using the flood system that comes with the mill or using a mister system. Also what mister system do you recommend with this mill.

Thanks Skeeter

I'm "misting" with a spray bottle with WD-40 as well (not aerosole - just a regular cleaner type spray bottle, and I get bulk WD-40) - for Aluminum

for steel I brush on lard on the cutter and part to be cut. it's solidish when room temp. then evaporates when heated (and takes heat with it) - non messy, non chemical, no problems.

than again, I don't do production lines and don't cut 24/7 so this works for me, but may not work for some others.

And for the record, I'm very open to the idea of using misters. I really don't like the mess that oil makes but, all my established procedures use oil. I'd gladly learn a new trick if it helped keeping all the equipment a little cleaner. I must admit though, I'm not particularly fond of high-pressure air around precision machinery (and let's please not open that can of worms right now).

So... if anyone can tell us about Kool Mist systems, how effective they are, how they take the place of cutting oil, cost of solutions, odors etc... I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Ray C said:
Hey, Darkzero/Will... You use misters, right? Chime in please.

I don't use misters or flood for the same reasons mentioned, too messy to use in my home garage, well for flood that is. I just use air or apply fluids the old fashioned way with luer-lok bottle or brush. I have a second cold air gun that I scored new in the box for the mill but I haven't hooked it up yet. But using a vortex air gun isn't exactly air efficient. I have 77 gallons of air & I would still like more.

A couple of others I know use MQL systems, Accu-Lube to be exact. One of them used to use a mister. They both swear by them but they are very expensive if you don't score them for a great deal.

I use Tap Magic Alum or WD40 for Al & Boelube for Ti & everything else sparingly as cutting fluid. I use Boelube paste for the bandsaw. One thing I heard about misters is that depending on the solutions used, they can cause stains on Al or rust on the machines if not cleaned up but I don't know the truth in that.

Last edited:
Well now it makes sense why the local machine store was selling gallon containers of WD40! So use WD40 on aluminum and what is best on steel? I see boeing lube but what else? I do have Do-Drill from Brownells.

I see boeing lube but what else?

IMHO, Boelube is expensive! There are plenty of other cutting fluids that work great for much cheaper. That's just what I've always used for Ti, I like the results & I don't need to use much of it. I have a gallon jug of it & a few smaller bottles that I got on sale which will last me a while. Whenever I run out I may look into cheaper alternatives.

Do a Goggle on fog buster, it is a mid of the road method without the mist in the air and no flood lube.
Just my 2 cents worth but what do I know.:thinking:

LOL... About 10 minutes ago, I ordered a Kool Mist setup. Something in the back of my mind (actually, the bottom of my lungs) is telling me to pursue this method of lube/cooling. The smoke coming off cutting oil had me choking yesterday.

Do a Goggle on fog buster, it is a mid of the road method without the mist in the air and no flood lube.
Just my 2 cents worth but what do I know.:thinking:

The smoke coming off cutting oil had me choking yesterday.

Now, just be careful of inhaling the moisture/solution that might be in the air from the mister. I've heard people talk about this too. Ray, please share your thoughts & results on it if/when you can. I hear they work pretty well & don't require a lot of air but I never got around to trying one.

Back