Missing and Broken Gears for Lathe

Note for posterity: The OD of the lower gear shown is incorrect; it was actually 2.00", just like the top gear - exactly as Gerard determined inductively.

I had accidentally measured the adjacent gears O.D. and noted that smaller value. Fortunately I did not make that mistake when counting teeth.
Bruce.

Hi Bruce.

Did you every repair your power feed? I recently acquired a Jet-1024P. Today making some parts, I tried to engage the power feed and nothing. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but you posting has been helpful.

Chris

Sorry for the delayed response guys...

Gerard, That apron diagram is the closest I have seen - and it is the first to actually show an idler assembly! Unfortunately it is still not how my apron is constructed; in that diagram the location to mount the idler it is off to the side vertically (not between the upper and lower shafts), and also has a strengthening shoulder and holes for mounting screws to hold the idler shaft in place. On mine, the hole is vertically centered between the lower and upper shafts. Also, there is no shoulder or holes for mounting/securing the shaft.

But I really appreciate your efforts to help me, thank you! Also, I visited your site and love your shop and projects, very nice work!

John, thank you for your post. I am amazed at how many different arrangements there are for the apron on these units. That one, like most, does not have an idler.

If you look at this image, through the idler mounting hole you can see the lower gear that drives the idler. The gear that seems to be just above that is actually the crossfeed gear - it is up against the front of the apron, it is not lined up vertically with the driving gear on the worm wheel shaft seen at the bottom. If you look hard, you can just see the tips of the gear on the upper shaft that is lined up vertically with the bottom gear - this is the clutch gear that needs to be driven. So the idler is just a little bit smaller than the hole.

View attachment 60352

Going to try to resurrect this thread. I need to source the worm wheel that is pictured for my 1024p lathe. I could probably use the worm gear as well. Does anybody have a manual that lists the PNs? Are parts still available if so where do I look? Any help would be appreciated

No but one that may help is the http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9249/parts that someone posted on somewhere in the forum. It is not a 10x24 but parts work for some of them I have a Taiwan made 10X24 and have got a couple of parts that fit.

Hi seasicksteve,

As Ken mentioned above, the Grizzly G9249 is the closest lathe to the Jet 1024P, where parts are still available. I've purchased some threading gears for my 1024 and are spot on. Based on your post, it looks like you might be trying to repair your Power Feed? I'm in the same boat, with my recently acquired Jet 1024. It appears a common issue with the 1024, I suspect because the lathe doesn't have an auto-stop and the carriage crashed under power.

In the download section you will find a number of manuals I've loaded for versions of the 1024/1236 lathes under some of their different manufactured names.
Here's the link:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/jet.636/

So far, I've found two different versions of the 1024.

Early versions (1970's ?) have the Half Nut lever on the Left Side of Carriage. (The Lam-350BH manual covers this one)

Later versions (1980's+) have the Half Nut Lever on the Right Side of the Carriage. (The Tida, Grizzly and Jet Manuals posted cover this model).

The Grizzly sells the worm gear and other gears, I have not had my carriage apart yet. But looking at parts drawings, and other postings (http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/02/jet-1024p-lathe-apron-cleaning.html) Jet appeared to use tapered pins to hold the gears on. The Grizzly G9249 Part Drawings, look to show a keyed gear and shaft with an axial bolt keeping the gear from sliding off the shaft.

One question I've had..... Is it possible to upgrade to the G9249 type shaft and gears? I've considered purchasing the shaft P/N 339, as it's the cheapest part, to see if it will fit, and if so then purchase the gears.

Hope this helps,

Chris

My apron is the same as the one in post 13 by Bruce, the brass worm wheel is what is failing almost the same as the one pictured sans missing teeth. The model I have has a drive shaft and a lead screw. The drive shaft powers the feeds on the apron via a worm that interfaces with the worm gear shown in the post. The worm is captivated in a bracket that bolts onto the bottom of the apron and the drive shaft runs through the center of the worm and is keyed together. It is not the same as the one pictured in Yuris posts, that is the model that only has the lead screw to thread and drive the apron it also has the worm bracket bolted to the back of the apron not the bottom. I will review the resources you have linked and see if I can find something that will work. I hope I ca find something

Back