Mini Split install

Mini splits are notoriously difficult to service, so no company is going to touch a unit they don't sell because there's no money in it and potentially a big loss of time and profit if the repair doesn't work and they have to do ANY return warranty work. Maybe with the exception of a couple of major name brands they choose to be service techs for. They probably are in the "paid network" for getting repair calls for those brands. But that also means a lot more people in the chain that have to get paid and a lot more expensive repairs. That's just the way it is. The whole "It's junk I won't touch it..." rather than being upfront honest and just say "I don't work on that brand" or "I can't get parts for those" or "There's no money in servicing that off brand."

But when they pull the "I won't touch that junk" card without calmly and clearly explaining the details WHY you automatically know they're unethical as hell.

This happens in a lot of industries including my day job. It's HOW you tell people no, or explaining WHY in a believable way a particular device isn't going to sustain a repair because of substandard build quality.

The service industry not touching Mr. Cools stinks to high heaven. It's not because they can't be serviced, it's because they're being heavily incentivized not to. And beyond that, the last thing the HVAC industry wants is for MOST installs to suddenly become DIY. It's somewhat like killing your own job. If it was all repair of DIY and no new install feed more than half the companies would fold.

I got the new compressor in today along with the "new" line set. I was assured there wasn't going to be a problem with the lines. I explained to the guy what had happened twice before and he assured me it wouldn't happen again. Yeah right :confused:

Here is a picture of the newest line set. It' the worst one of all. So now they are hand picking a set for me and having the set picked up from me.

How can they keep making the same mistake? Even in china the quality department can't be that bad right?

As a side note, the compressor was supposed to be a scratch and dent item. I can't find anything wrong with it at all.newlines.jpg

What is wrong with the lines?
The one line is 13" longer than the other one. Without bending the hell out of it there is no way to hook them up. This is a picture of the first set of lines, the new ones are even worse.

tube1.jpg

Last edited:
How does this keeps happening to you? Was this direct purchase from Mr. Cool or something? Along with getting the scratch and dent compressor, was there also an assumption that a line set that fails QC for length was part of the deal since you got a discount unit?

I got a LOT of line sets and they're all dead on for length.

This was bought from Ingram's. The first sets of lines were directly from mr cool. Lucky me huh :confused:

I didn't think a "B" grade, or an "F" grade set of lines was part of the scratch and dent deal. But apparently they were. The sales guy is falling all over himself apologizing in emails.

Another week of waiting I guess.

did you send them pics so they can see for themselves?
Have you unrolled the lines and straightened them to see if it's a case of the inner loop vs longer outer loop, like a race track...

edit: I know they look like they run next to each other not in /out, but it might pay to check.

I find it hard to believe that all the lines are mismatched for length by accident. It seems more likely that they were intended for a different model where either the compressor fittings or the air handler fittings were spaced apart from each other. It would be possible that the apparently longer line was on the inside of the coil. You would gain about 1-1/2" to 2" for each coil. If the lines were straightened, they would be the same length. But it looks like your new lines are running side by side. ????

Edit: Dang, @woodchucker types faster than me!

Yup, sent pics. Unrolling them doesn't change anything at all. See pic in post #94.

The lines are run side by side and in insulation and a plastic sleeve.

If I put two 80 degree twists in the lines I could possibly gain some. One line is bigger than the other one and they come already set up out of the the air handler and no way to change that. I'm not sure if there are other applications for the lines but they sure don't fit this compressor. And I find it hard to believe I'm the only one with this problem.

Here is a pic from their web page. Take a look at the lines.

4th-gen-blog-announcement-feature-photo-3-1.png

Yup, sent pics. Unrolling them doesn't change anything at all. See pic in post #94.

The lines are run side by side and in insulation and a plastic sleeve.

If I put two 80 degree twists in the lines I could possibly gain some. One line is bigger than the other one and they come already set up out of the the air handler and no way to change that. I'm not sure if there are other applications for the lines but they sure don't fit this compressor. And I find it hard to believe I'm the only one with this problem.

Here is a pic from their web page. Take a look at the lines.

View attachment 488666
As a thought, not throwing rocks, I mounted mine off the wall 18" above the ground to make it easier to mow and trim under it... My lines were a close fit...

Back