Mini Mill X Power Feed

Wagner,
What kind of motor/gearbox is that and where did you get it?. I am getting tired of using the cordless drill on my X2 and getting crappy finishes on my work and I am running out of discs for my 9" angle grinder.
John.

Last edited:

Nice work Wagner! A neat installation and I like the graphics. Was it a photoresist/chemical etch?

Bob

Hi Bob, thank you.

It was CNC engraved with a 60° V bit, then filled with paint.

Wagner

Hi Bob, thank you.

It was CNC engraved with a 60° V bit, then filled with paint.

Wagner
Hi Wagner,

I had recently done a brass plaque with a 45 ° engraving bit. They really do a nice job.

I used the V bit because of variable width artwork. I use SprutCam for my CAM program and cut multiple passes incrementing by .001" in depth. It worked out well. There were over 230K lines of G code though.

Bob

Wagner,
Thanks for the info on the parts. Unfortunately the postage to Australia is 3 times the cost of the motor. I will look around the motor wreckers for a seat motor.
If I luck out I may bite the bullet ( a 105mm round, big bite) and order a couple. Thanks again for the reply.
John.

Hi Bob,

I've seen some articles about the V carving with variable width/dept. Never seen on brass, only in wood.
Thank you for the idea, I may try someday.

Hello John,

I think the motor is from a car seat, but don't know the manufacturer or model. I've selected it because of the thru hole on the gearbox; It allowed for the engage/disengage action.
I've attached the cad drawing in this message, some measurements may be useful if you are building it for a Sieg X2 Mill.
The forum does not allow DXF files, so I've renamed it to .TXT; rename it back to ZAutoFeed.dxf (drawing 1:1 scale, inch units)

Wagner

Attachments

• XAutoFeed.txt
    278.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wagner,
The thru hole was what interested me too. Having trouble reverting the file but I get the gist of the build. It's nice to have a new perspective on this topic. Well done mate,
John.

Thanks for sharing your work Wagner. Very nicely done! I have all the parts and plan to make a similar unit. I have one question though: how are the square drive shaft to round shaft connections made? I'm referring to the square shaft that engages the motor drive and attaches to round shafts at each end. I don't see that detail in the CAD drawing. I can think of a few ways to do it but I'm curious to see how you did it. Hope my question makes sense.

Back