1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Mini Mill Torsion Arm Screw

Discussion in 'MINI-LATHE & MINI-MILL INFORMATION' started by ferlum, Feb 16, 2017.

1. ferlum

ferlum United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Phoenix
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Figured I'd post this here in case anyone else runs into the same problem, and as a heads up to check your machine if you're still using the torsion spring arm like me (haven't gotten around to the air spring upgrade).

I had a thin workpiece clamped directly to the table and couldn't lower the head far enough to do what I needed. It was bottoming out in the torsion spring arm so I had to take it apart to get the extra inch. Once apart I discovered that the big screw was badly worn. See pic. LMS has replacements but they're more $ than I think they're worth so I got this shoulder screw from McMaster for much less.

Anyone still using the torsion spring might want to check the screw for wear -- it could get ugly if that thing lets go.

The shoulder screw is 10 mm Diameter x 12 mm Long Shoulder, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread Size

McMaster PN 92981A300

[​IMG]

bmac2, roghmc, clevinski and 4 others like this.