Mini Mill Power Feed For The Table

Here's a link to another short video from my little shop. I'll be doing a detail video on all the parts once I get the project completely finished. I'll also do a video on wiring the motor control & using an old computer power supply as a power source. Hope you enjoy this quickie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice Job!

I will be watching this .. the micromark power feed does not work as expected. The slowest speed is too fast for slitting, or gear cutting, and it stalls very easily. I really didn`t want my mini mill to be a project, since I have some real projects that need to be done - but this is one I have to commit to.

Mine right now is at near 0 to 3.5 inches per minute.

I need to step up the speed on the controller and go to 10 thread per inch leadscrews. that would over double me current speed.

I figure on pulse rate alone I can go up to 5 IMP, anything I can get out of pulse rate will double on the leadscrew change.

Update...

I upgraded to the .050 lead screws and the power feed works much better. I assume its because the motor can run at a higher RPM while giving me the slow speed I wanted with the geared down screws.

Hello,

I wanted a power feed for my Mill too, and was most inspired by lpeedin's solution.
I did go a little different, using a 24V straight geared motor.
You can see the internals here (old photo - no engagement lever):
20160410_123631 - Copy.jpg

The internals are a deep socket (9/16ths), with a sliding hex and "screwdriver tip" to engage the table screw.
A large washer and pin provides a "slip ring" to pull and push the sliding part.

The finished product:
20160723_110748 - Copy.jpg

Have yet to finish the electronic end stops.

I've created a short video of it running:

James.

Hi David,
Thanks. I am also quite happy with how it turned out.
Hopefully the end stops work well also. Bit concerned here as I am using magnetic sensors and steel chips/swarf may interfere. I can always go back to switches if needed.
I'll update when I finally get around to finishing it.
James.

Back