Mini Mill Power Feed For The Table

Yes, it's just a 9/16" deep socket. If I had it to do over I'd use a larger socket. The drive shaft has to be able to slide into the socket. I was able to drill this one out part the way, but had to do a lot of filing to get it to where the square shaft would pass through. Hopefully I'll get the detail video done tomorrow. I tore it down today & powder coated what shows & made a cover & clutch slide so I don't have to stick my fingers in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed your video as you are very detailed and explained everything in a way that even someone that knows nothing about machining "me" can understand. I have a very similar mill "LMS 3990" and after seeing your video I am going to tackle this asap.

I really enjoyed your video as you are very detailed and explained everything in a way that even someone that knows nothing about machining "me" can understand. I have a very similar mill "LMS 3990" and after seeing your video I am going to tackle this asap.

Thanks for the compliments. I hope to get a couple more videos posted tomorrow on the power supply & motor control for the mill power feed.

Upcoming videos will include a series on making a full set of archery stabilizers & mounts. Even those not interested in archery will hopefully enjoy the machining which will include everything from boring on the lathe to using a rotary table on the mill.

I'm building one similar to this using the same motor

image.jpeg

Like the design. Would like a few close-up pics of the drive engagement system and any experience improvements you would make if you did it again

Like the design. Would like a few close-up pics of the drive engagement system and any experience improvements you would make if you did it again

Did you watch the 2nd video linked in this thread? In it I do a break down explanation of the entire setup. The only thing I'd do different (which I plan to change tomorrow) is that the drive engagement knob (shown in 2nd video) need to be on the side instead of the top. I have to be careful now when I use the spin indexer to be sure its handle is clear of the knob.

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing - I am loving it & use it practically every time the table needs moving more than a few inches.

Any concern as to the feed not stopping ( get distracted ). May be a limit switch? Yes. I did watch both videos. Great work. Got the drive today awaiting the wiring info on the next video . awaiting the PWM speed controller. Thanks again. Tom

Any concern as to the feed not stopping ( get distracted ). May be a limit switch? Yes. I did watch both videos. Great work. Got the drive today awaiting the wiring info on the next video . awaiting the PWM speed controller. Thanks again. Tom

Yep - I've got all the material purchased & ready to add some limit switches. Wiring them in will be quite simple, the biggest issue is where to mount them. I'll be making a follow up to my wiring video to show how to incorporate the limit switches so that if one is triggered the other will still have power.

Back