Mini Mill opinions?

dontrinko

Registered
Registered
I have a Unimat set up as a mill and it is ok but I would like something with a little more power.
I would like to spend around $450, Is that possible? Any recommendations? I have looked at the Shop fox micro mill but the reviews mentioned problems with the motor getting hot and quitting. Most of the reviews were from 2011 so it is possible that has been fixed.
Maybe I need to spend a little more and get a Grizzly or Central Machinery? Thanks; Don

Round column Asian mill drills go for around that price often, used, on Craigslist and elsewhere.

I've had a Harbor Freight 44991 (X2 size) mini-mill for a number of years, and have been very happy with it. Never had a problem with the motor or motor controls. I decided on this one, instead of the Grizzly equivalent, because it has an R8 spindle. The Grizzly is MT3. I'm pretty sure the Little Machine Shop minis are R8, and I'd seriously consider getting one of them if you can afford it. Unfortunately, ANY of the X2 size mills will be more expensive than your $450 goal, though you MIGHT find a used HF on Craigs list if you keep looking long enough.

As with all such tools, you'll spend at least as much as the initial cost on tooling, options, etc. Among the goodies I've added to mine are the belt drive kit, hydraulic lift kit, power feed for the X, and a cheap 3 axis DRO (0.001" resolution). Mine was originally from LMS, but they've discontinued this model. The nearest equivalent I can find is https://www.amazon.com/TTC-Axis-Dig...&keywords=digital+readout+3+axis+display+unit
kHPIM2220.jpg

Back