Mini Mill Dro

W

WMello

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi

MillDroBox%20028_zpsgqegufuz.jpg

Recently I've finished a DRO for the Mini Mill using the Arduino microprocessors.

It uses iGaging scales on the X and Y axis, Quad Encoder on Z axis and infrared emitter/detector for the RPM.

Wagner

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard! Just keep posting, I want to see your pictures. What mini mill do you have?
I've often heard of the Arduino units and would be interested in seeing how you implemented one.

Chuck the grumpy old guy.

Hey Chuck, thank you.

My mill is the standard Central Machinery (Sieg X2)
I also own a Mini Lathe, from Cummins. (Sieg 7 x 12)

I've some experience in electronics and programming (my job), so I've been playing with the Arduino for a while. It is a wonderful and simple platform.

Today I've finished a X Feed for the mill using what I think is a car seat motor. Post about it to follow.

In the past I've build small furniture pieces, wood gear clocks, a CNC router, crank organs and pipe organs.

On the long run, I'm gathering skills and tooling for building a large, traditional brass gears, tower clock.

Wagner

Hi Wagner,

I too am really looking forward to some photos, video, plans, whatever you're willing to share.

From your past experience and future plans you have/will have a lot of great skills.

Welcome to the site!

-brino

Hi Brino, thank you.

Some of the projects I've mentioned are really old.

There's still a lot to learn.
I've been using store bought lathe tools. Today I will try to grind my first HSS lathe cutter.

The idea is to learn how to grind fly-cutters for cycloidal clock wheels.

I've just edited the first message. Apparently I can post pictures.

Wagner

In this DRO, for the X and Y axis I've used standard iGaging Scales.

The Z axis is made of a quad-encoder mounted on a spool whit a constant-force spring, like in a tape measure.

It worked very well.

MillDroZ%20023_zps3qgokpw2.jpg

MillDroZ%20009_zpsmhhfgy4j.jpg

Wagner

Fantastic work! I love your cover plates and the Z axis scale! Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to lean new things.

Extremely Cool! Love the Z axis encoder setup. How do you handle the other two axis? Any chance of your sharing the schematics and parts lists?
I've got a couple of old tape measures that I'm willing to sacrifice ;^)

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Hi Brav65, thank you.

Hello Chuck, sure I can share the info.

DroZ_zpsev3apqyx.jpg
Just give me some time to collect more information. For now, here is the video of the prototype:

Wagner

Hi chuck,

Here is the info, if you decide to build one.

Electronics
Encoder: LPA3806 Rotary Encoder two phases 600 pulses/rotation
Arduino: Pro Mini Atmega328P 5V 16 MHz
Display: Max7219 8-Digit display module

Power Suppy: 5 Vdc 1 A min

Programming:
USB Serial: FT232RL Usb to Serial adapter

Hardware:
Pulley
Spring
Bearing
Timing Belt
Timing Pulley

Arduino Code:
Attached file MillDROZ.txt (copy it to your Arduino system folder and rename it to .ino)

Drawing:
Attached file Encoder.txt (rename it to Encoder.dxf - the forum don't allow dxf files...)

Diagram:
DRO2_zpscgjvbgcz.jpg

You will need to download the Arduino IDE platform and learn the basics of it.

The Arduino Pro Mini is a simplified version of the traditional Arduino UNO. It has no USB port (cheaper and much smaller), but needs a adapter for programming, the FT232.

The USB to Serial adapater FT232 is used only for programming the Arduino Pro Mini. It is not used in operation; you will need only one for all your Arduino Pro Mini projects.

Wagner

Attachments

• MillDROZ.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Encoder.txt
    68.8 KB · Views: 60
Back