Mini Lathe - Turning Between Centers?

What was your doc? Hss would be better suited. If mild steel you will have a hard time getting a decent finish. I usually polish it with Emery cloth or metal sand paper.

What was your doc? Hss would be better suited. If mild steel you will have a hard time getting a decent finish. I usually polish it with Emery cloth or metal sand paper.
“doc”? - not sure what you’re asking, sorry. The material is Al 6061 and the tool was a 3/8” AR indexable carbide. Feed Rate is fixed at 0.004” per revolution (although that can be varied by manually charging gears cogs). Final Cut was 0.003 with cutting fluid.

Wow. If that’s aluminum something is not right. Doc is depth of cut. I would recommend using hss tools. Also use wd40 for cutting fluid on aluminum it really helps.

Wow. If that’s aluminum something is not right. Doc is depth of cut. I would recommend using hss tools. Also use wd40 for cutting fluid on aluminum it really helps.
Thanks - I’ll try HSS & WD40 on a few more passes on this workpiece tomorrow.

Much nicer today!

1. Two passes 0.0025" DOC
2. 500rpm 0.004"/rev feed rate
3. HSS T-15 1/64 radius inserts
4. WD-40 cutting fluid

The 1st pass chipped and 2nd pass spun swarf - does this indicate the rough finish on 1st pass?

PXL_20231115_151631997.jpg

The finish looks really nice now. Especially for a mini lathe. How is the taper.

The finish looks really nice now. Especially for a mini lathe. How is the taper.
It reads out at +/- 0.0005 across ~8in - I think I got lucky on machine alignment and my 1st use on a 4-jaw chuck.

Much nicer today!

1. Two passes 0.0025" DOC
2. 500rpm 0.004"/rev feed rate
3. HSS T-15 1/64 radius inserts
4. WD-40 cutting fluid

The 1st pass chipped and 2nd pass spun swarf - does this indicate the rough finish on 1st pass?

View attachment 466778
That looks good. I cannot seem to get the chips to break as nice on 6000 series aluminum; but, I found that it I am not happy with the chips I can vary F&S slightly to alter its behavior for different tooling. I thought I needed the lathe to be much faster when I bought it but I find it works best in most cases at the lower RPM.

Back