mini lathe pulley belt upgrade

X-RAY

Active User
Registered
i see these kits on ebay all the time, but i havent seen one in lms catalog or anywhere else. whats the deal with them? ive never had trouble with my stock setup (hf 7x10). is it a worthwhile upgrade or just a gimmick?

I'm wondering the same thing. I actually bought one. Just bought a new Harbor Freight 7x12. Main reason I got it was that I wanted to be able to get standard belts more easily. Didn't realize the ratio was so different. 3:1 as opposed to the stock 1.82:1 though. Would also like to hear from someone who has experience or at least an educated opinion with/on this. Going to run it with the plastic pulleys and asian belt till it breaks either way.

I modified mine about 3 years ago, I cant remember the ratio I used. but suffice it to say I run 1HP cap start motor with reverse. and get thro a lot of heavy work. Look at my 32x40 H gas engine thread and you will se what it can do.
The lathe also has taper bearings and steel gears. many mods on my website see bottom of page.

Brian

I've done so many mods or part mods on mine, I have forgotten about what I have actually done.

I should have made a list... :thinking:

The mods list for the 7X lathes is almost endless. Just about the time you think you have it licked, another good mod that needs to be done suddenly just pops up. Fortunately most of the really important ones are already done to mine so I can waste a bit more time before I decide I need to do the next new one or not. In the beginning it seemed like all I ever did was tinker with the lathe, now not so much. You will get there eventually and the reduction mod and back gear builds are two pretty good ones to do to slow the bit in the material and get a really low reverse speed if you use that function for threading or turning to a shoulder.

Bob

The mods list for the 7X lathes is almost endless. Just about the time you think you have it licked, another good mod that needs to be done suddenly just pops up. Fortunately most of the really important ones are already done to mine so I can waste a bit more time before I decide I need to do the next new one or not. In the beginning it seemed like all I ever did was tinker with the lathe, now not so much. You will get there eventually and the reduction mod and back gear builds are two pretty good ones to do to slow the bit in the material and get a really low reverse speed if you use that function for threading or turning to a shoulder.

Bob

Thanks Bob , so there is something to do other than to continuously fix my lathe .... good to know :talktogod:

I've got a question about the tapered bearing upgrade. Question being are the bearings open? and if so how do you keep trash out and grease in?

I've got a question about the tapered bearing upgrade. Question being are the bearings open? and if so how do you keep trash out and grease in?

I am in the midst of this upgrade. Plus painting my lathe.

The tapered roller bearings are open and you need to pack them with Grease. I could not find sealed ones.

you can make gaskets I seen on this link under the head stock upgrades on the right column.

Also check out some of my other threads & post for my lathe As well as Brians site.

Canadian bearings link

https://www.bearingscanada.com/

Mini lathe mods

http://www.toolsandmods.com/

LMS has the parts and you can speak directly with them to make sure of the part #'s you order and need,

I like to make my own parts if I can.

There are a lot of different web info sites and a few youtube videos for this.
Make yourself a good plan & a list of the details you want for the mod.
You will need to make a few items before you tear down your lathe. Or make them on another lathe.

I just read as much as I could chose what works for me. Plus some of my own ideas.
Such as adding Grease fittings or tapped & threaded access holes to the head.
I will post my decision on that one later.

ok I'm done rambling only on my first coffee....

Last edited:
Back