Mills: 25, 30, 45...Distinctions

FMC1959

Registered
Registered
When looking at small to midsize mills, I see the above numbers associated to the given models. I have seen 20's and maybe some others but these are the ones I see most. Often knowing what a given model is, is easy because it is listed in the model number...e.g. a ZAY7045 or an Elite WSM30V.

Then there are models like an MTW MD001, which having read a bit about it, I know it is a 45. I know that many MFR's have similar models but slight differences in the table size, or RPM's or other things, but the model still remains in the category it is.

So my question is, while there are small differences, what are the distinctions between models (and for this discussion, do not include round column Rofu-30 models)? If it does not say anywhere it is a 25, 30 or 45, what sets them apart?

Also, when you throw in the "X" models like X2 or X3 (an X3 is like a 25?), how do these fit into the model equation?

The numbers are really not "universal" & don't work that way.

With the 45 number it's usually referring to a larger bench top mill drill with a square column that was originally made by Rong Fu, hence athe name, RF-30, RF-40, RF-45, etc.

But for the 30, there's Rong Fu style RF-30 mill drill with a round column then there's the BF-30 style mill drills that are are a bit smaller but have square colums. I have no idea who originally made those square column BF 20, 25, 30s, I don't think it's Rong Fu but I could be wrong.

The X series style mini mills were originally made by Sieg.

So you can't really go by the numbers entirely, the importers/resellers use their own p/ns. Many of these mills may have the same basic castings or features but distributors often order machines to their specs which can include differences like tables sizes, functions, quality of parts, & even COO, etc. Just cause one machine might look very similar to another one can not assume they they are identical machines.

....and then you have the potential confusion of the NMTB spindle sizes of some bigger machines 20 vs. 30 vs. 40 vs. 50.
In this case they are standard shank sizes of tooling that fit the spindle.

Here's a link with a bunch of pictures:
http://www.carbideanddiamondtooling.com/nst.nmtb.nt.tool.holder.section
I have never done business with them, just using them as an example of all the different spindle types.

maybe this will help some:
http://wanderingaxeman.blogspot.ca/2014/12/selecting-and-buying-metal-milling.html

-brino

I always thought you just went by table size , like probably the most popular mill ever the Bridgeport 9 x 49 . Then you would add knee mill or hor ./vert . spindle size and different things . X 2 or 3 sounds nice but doesn't tell much unless you know .

Thanks for the responses everyone. I thought there might be certain attributes for a certain model, but it does not look like it.

How about within broader lines, even if it does not apply to all models within a model number....for instance, a 25 would almost always be 120 volt and be a 3/4 to 1 HP motor. A 45 would almost always be 220 volt and would have a 1 1/2 to 2 HP motor. A 30, from what I have seen really falls in the middle with both 120 & 220 volt motors, usually in the 1 to 1 1/2 HP..

I also noticed weights without stands. A 45 would probably be a good 650 - 1000 pounds, a 30 might be 400 - 700 and a 25 coming in anywhere from 200 - 450. I realize there are always exceptions but would this be correct most of the machines within a given model number? I have noticed that table sizes are all over the place, as is X & Y travel.

I am not looking for written in stone rules but just basic parameters for most of these models. In looking for a milling machine, some new, but especially when dealing with used, there is often limited info and just a few pictures. Especially the used ones, I often wonder how serious the person is about selling with the bad pictures and limited info. I sometimes ask questions but don't always get a response, or sometimes they answer, but like someone that never used the machine (Question; what are the min/max rpm on your mill?...Answer; it is a 1 HP motor. Or you ask what taper it has and they tell you they used it only for light steel).

Anyway, there is never anything close by so before making a round trip of minimum a couple of hours to see the machine, I figure the more I can decipher in advance, the better I can understand if it is a great looking deal or not worthwhile to even see.

I just don't have the room for a full blown machine so I am looking for a benchtop style import machine. If anyone has any other characteristics which are common for certain models, please feel free to list them.

Back