Millrite Question

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Is "Millrite" a Rockwell badge or series, another maker bought by Rockwell, or ???

Nope, Originally Burke later bought by Powermatic (both under Houdaille Industries, I'm not sure if Powermatic bought Burke or Houdaille bought both). Houdaille also had Burgmaster under their umbrella.

I don't think they ever had a Rockwell connection.

Last edited:
It was first U.S. Machine Tool, then Burke, then Powermatic. Old company:

1915:
The United States Machine Tool Co. was founded
in Cincinnati, Ohio.

1947:
United States Machine Tool Co. became the
US Machine Tool division of Ransohoff Co.

1948:
US Machine Tool division of Ransohoff Co. merged
with Burke Machine Tool and became US Burke Machine Tool Co.

In the 70s:
US Burke became part of Powermatic/Houdaille

Early to mid 80s:
The Cincinnati facility closed.

Thanks all. Turns out that I had Millrite written on the tag end of the Burke and US and Houdaille category. But I've slep a few times since then. I'll add Powermatic to the list.

Oh and I forgot Logan Lathes was also absorbed into Houdaille.

OK. I think that I will leave Logan and Wards where they are. As far as I have seen, the current Logan shares nothing but a name with the real US built Logans

OK. I think that I will leave Logan and Wards where they are. As far as I have seen, the current Logan shares nothing but a name with the real US built Logans

I'm not suggesting that you change anything (it might just add more confusion) but I believe the late 1960s - early 1970's Powermatic metal lathes were more or less identical the the Logan versions except for paint and decorations.

I just did a search and we don't have any files in DOWNLOADS with the word "Powermatic" in the title. If any ever do turn up and you turn out to be right, I'll add "Powermatic Lathes" to the Logan/Wards Category title.

Back