Millrite Newbie Questions

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just took delivery of my Millrite, and have a few questions if I may.
image.jpg
It appears that I am missing some parts necessary to kick out the X power feed. Can someone enlighten me on what I need to do/get/make?
image.jpg
Also, I cannot find any way to lock down the table. I see a table gib lock on the schematic but not on the machine. Is this another part I am missing?
In the center of the picture below is a lubrication zirk. I am assuming that this is the point of lubrication for the knee pinon gear? When I raise and lower the knee I can kind of hear the gear teeth engaging like I would expect it to sound if they were without lube. Is this normal ?
I shot some Vactra2 in there with a lot of difficulty.
image.jpg

How does one go about sliding the Turret? Should that be easily moveable by hand?
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. Now to get it wired up.
Jonathan

View attachment 112456
It appears that I am missing some parts necessary to kick out the X power feed. Can someone enlighten me on what I need to do/get/make?
View attachment 112457
Also, I cannot find any way to lock down the table. I see a table gib lock on the schematic but not on the machine. Is this another part I am missing?
In the center of the picture below is a lubrication zirk. I am assuming that this is the point of lubrication for the knee pinon gear? When I raise and lower the knee I can kind of hear the gear teeth engaging like I would expect it to sound if they were without lube. Is this normal ?
View attachment 112458

How does one go about sliding the Turret? Should that be easily moveable by hand?
Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,
I have a Millrite, my second one, but it does not have the factory X power feed. You are missing the "finger" block that points upward between the two bolt holes and is mounted to them. You can see the shadow of where it was once mounted in your photo. The two blocks that clamp to the round rod in front of the table are the stops that are adjusted left and right for where you want to trip the feed off. They bump against the finger. The smaller center hole does not seem to have a use, at least that I know of. The finger bracket covers that hole.

The X axis lock screws in vertically from the bottom into the saddle on the left side near the Y axis stop. The original handle was similar to the Y lock. It appears to be missing.

The good news is that both missing parts are easily made. You could also probably find something already made for the lock if you look in the Enco, MSC, Travers, or other bigger tool dealer catalogs. I will post photos of the finger installation and Y stop for you here -- after I finish my breakfast... 8^)

D. C. Morrison still sells some parts for these machines: dcmorrison.com
You will probably not find much useful on their web site beyond the phone number. You will need to call them for help.

The sliding ram (the turret revolves) can get stuck pretty hard. That is common from lack of movement and lubrication. Loosen all four bolts completely. Squirt some penetrating oil everywhere it can get into the dovetails, let it sit a while, and whack the end of the ram with the end of a 4x4 wooden post or similar. Bump the head to push it the other way. Rinse and repeat multiple times as needed. Be patient. Don't use a metal hammer and don't get carried away. You can damage and break castings easier than you think. Eventually you will see some movement, and then you are winning the war. Keep at it, give time for the penetrant to work. Clean up and lube the slide ways that you can get to as they are exposed. When you finally can slide the ram easily with one arm, clean everything up as best you can and then work some way oil into the ways. If you remember to slide the ram a couple times a year and oil the ways you will never have that problem again. Both of my Millrites came to me with stuck rams...

The knee gears are OILED using a Zerk fitting on the left side of the knee, below the saddle. DO NOT GREASE any of the Zerks on the machine except possibly the ones by the X axis dials (depending on which manual you read...) (Edit: Yes, Vactra #2 is the right stuff and that is the correct lube fitting. I missed part of your post initially) You are safe using way oil in all the Zerks on the machine. There is a separate way to lube the spindle, that I won't go into here.

You would be smart to join the BurkeMills Yahoo group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/burkemills/info
There is lots of friendly help there and tons of photos. There are manuals, breakdowns, and old brochures of the machines in the files area. Please feel free to PM me if you want more help.

Nice machine, by the way...

Last edited:
View attachment 112456
View attachment 112457
View attachment 112458

Jonathan
Edit: Duplicate post

Last edited:
Edit: My camera has gone missing. I am having my girlfriend look in her car to see if I left it there. I will post the pics later.

Last edited:
View attachment 112456
View attachment 112457
View attachment 112458

Jonathan
Edit: Does your coolant system interfere with getting full travel on the Z (up/down) axis? Could it be somehow related to your "gear noise?"

Last edited:
Thanks Bob,
Although the coolant sump does not have an effect on the working of the gears at all, I am pretty sure that the Z axis is is limited by it. I am getting just over 12" of knee travel. However, I do have a 5" riser installed, so any limited movement of the knee would be on the bottoming end of movement, so I still have plenty of max distance between the lowered table and raised spindle. Most Millrites have 14" of knee travel, correct? I thought about removing the sump as I will be using a Kool mist, but it might prove itself useful for containing oil and swarf for easier cleanup.

Thanks for the guidance Bob. It led to some very fruitful results on the Burke Millrite group.

Thanks Bob,
Although the coolant sump does not have an effect on the working of the gears at all, I am pretty sure that the Z axis is is limited by it. I am getting just over 12" of knee travel. However, I do have a 5" riser installed, so any limited movement of the knee would be on the bottoming end of movement, so I still have plenty of max distance between the lowered table and raised spindle. Most Millrites have 14" of knee travel, correct? I thought about removing the sump as I will be using a Kool mist, but it might prove itself useful for containing oil and swarf for easier cleanup.
Vertical travel is supposed to be 15", so you are giving up 3"with your sump. You gain the spindle clearance back with the riser, plus a couple inches, but you still lose overall on the maximum travel. If you are not going to use the sump, I bet it would sell in short order on the BurkeMills group. That is the first one I have seen.

Bob
I thought I read vertical travel is 17.5 inches
Nelson

Back