milling the base plate on a cdco QCTP on a grizzly g0602 possible?

Grizzly will sell you the plate you need for about $7.00 I think. Then you just drill and tap it to match the QCTP. I did it that way on my 752 after somebody suggested it. Doing it this way you still have the original plate if you wanted to use the turret tool holder in the future.

It was an M14 x 1.5mm tap that matched the bolt on the QCTP. Mine is a Bostar from somebody on EBay.

:cautious:
Something like this one

View attachment 43368

If you look closely at Charlie's picture, the base is turned in a lathe, and not milled. We sometimes get stuck on an idea, but facing it in a chuck until the post has a sliding fit in the t-slot, as well as the base is small enough to fit under the sides of the t-slot will work just as well as milling it.

Brian :)

Oh.... I just realized that the width of the base might have to be milled.... hmmmm...

Last edited:
i bought a QCTP from CDCO not realizing that the base needs to be milled to fit into the g0602.and i don't have a milling machine I was thinking of ordering some end mills, clamping the base into the existing tool post, and putting the end mill into the lathes chuck and shimming for what little vertical I need.

am i asking for trouble? or is this doable?

TIA, Dave

Dave ,I'm in Mays landing NJ.About 2-1/2 hrs from Washington DC.I can mill it for you.Actually you can file the Tee-nut because it is not hardened.If you have a drill press you can mill the tee-nut if you take light cuts.The drill press must have a way to lock the quill and fine feed would help a lot. You would need a cross slide vise or milling table to do this easily.Bear in mind the chuck and spindle are not made for lateral pressure like milling. Lacking these tools you could just file it to size.I have the same lathe and QCTP,do not recall how much I needed to remove from the tee-nut.I had a small milling machine and recall it went quickly.
As far as your idea to mount the tee-nut in the tool holder and the mill in the chuck, might work. Try it only if you are sure the tee-nut is very secure.
mike

I recently put a Shars AXA on my G0602. It is easy to machine, but I used a PM-25 milling machine. I would consider taking someone up on their offer to machine it for you.

Back