Milling speeds

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
what are some references you guys use for milling spindle speeds for materials and end mill sizes?

I also have a 1" fly cutter, what do we have for references for that?

what are some references you guys use for milling spindle speeds for materials and end mill sizes?

Do a Google search for milling speeds and feeds. Sort through the results and you will find what you need. BTW - your flycutter is a single flute 1" cutter so the RPM and feedrate is the same as any tool of that size and material.

BTW - You will find that speed and feed data is not consistent from chart to chart. I'm not going to go into the reasons why there are differences just wanted to point out that they are there. You will have to decide where you want to run your cutters.

Hope this helps.

Tom S.

I've posted these tables before but will do so again, then download them to the library if I can figure out how. See the tables, Shawn.

As for the fly cutter, what kind of bar are you using? HSS or carbide?

Attachments

• Speed and Feeds Brass.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Speed and Feeds for 12L14.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Speed and Feeds Mild Steel.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Speed and Feeds O-1.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Speed and Feeds Plastics.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Speed and Feeds Stainless 2.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Speed and Feeds Stainless.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Solid Carbide Speed & Feed.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 48
  • T-6 speeds and feeds.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 63
It's a carbide.
And thanks for the tables.

Of course I know how to google, but there are soooo I many references out there. I, myself, have references I like regarding other things that I suggest to people because I trust and like the reference. So, I assume other people have the same. So, I ask...

Your Google-Fu may be good but you won't find these tables on the net anymore. Niagara took it off their site; now you have it because you're special!

For the fly cutter, I would use the standard formula and double the result for carbide: Cutting speed X 3.82 / diameter. For example, for mild steel with the cutter tip at 3/4" from the center for a 1.5" radius: 100 X 3.82 / 1.5 = 255; X 2 = ~500-600 rpm. Try it and see how it cuts.

I was facing an aluminum bar tonight, I think I may have had the cutter around 1000rpm. Once I tightened the wiggles out of the dovetails, it cut somewhat nice for the fact that I have no method of grinding that carbide tip aside from honing it on the cheap (likely not) diamond plate

I was facing an aluminum bar tonight, I think I may have had the cutter around 1000rpm. Once I tightened the wiggles out of the dovetails, it cut somewhat nice for the fact that I have no method of grinding that carbide tip aside from honing it on the cheap (likely not) diamond plate

Cutting speed for aluminum is about 200-220 sfm so rpm would be in the neighborhood of 2400 rpm. Try it; it works quite well.

Mikey
Thanks for the charts. I thought that I had them somewhere, but could't find them and now I have them. Very handy.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Cutting speed for aluminum is about 200-220 sfm so rpm would be in the neighborhood of 2400 rpm. Try it; it works quite well.
Holy moly! You're just all about pushing my speed limits!

Mikey
Thanks for the charts. I thought that I had them somewhere, but could't find them and now I have them. Very handy.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

You're welcome, Chuck. I had to look all over my computer to find them but now I know where they are ... at least for the next day or two!

Back