Milling/Re-sawing HDPE blocks

Fishchips

Active User
Registered
I want to add a top to a Snap On machine cabinet. I have two pallets of what I believe is HDPE in 2" thick pieces. I don't really want the top 2" thick and It'll be in three pieces, wondering the easiest way to surface it. I don't have a mill, but I want one. Dimensions are 4'x19". Thanks

At 19" wide, resawing on a bandsaw is going to be difficult, not many that can handle the height. Get friendly with a larger cabinet shop and maybe they'll run it through their planer. Alternate sides to minimize warping.

On an extreme case, with careful planning a few cheats, you could do it with a router. It would be difficult to alternate sides, unless you just took .500 off each side.

A member here built a router jig that could accomplish it, and be rather handy for other things later, especially if you are into woodworking a bit.

http://hobby-machinist.com/index.php?topic=735.0

My shop landlord operates a large cabinet shop next door, I'll ask him about it when I return to town.

Why not leave it 2 " thick? Route some slots in the bottom to fit the edges of the box and hit it with a belt sander whenever it gets ugly. Should last several decades!!!

Your right about leaving it as is, I make things to difficult sometimes.

Forget about the belt sander if the surface is getting ugly. That is one tool that has little effect on that material, other than to heat it up until it starts getting uglier.

Top finished, A craftsman I'm not. A plain old skill saw cut it like butter.

100_0497.jpg

Back