Milling in the lathe

I think George has some very valid points to concider. I would worry about damaging a lathe that small. One good oops, and you could have a broken lathe too.

The drill press as a mill, well, I must admit, I did that many years ago. If your going that direction, you better find a method of keeping the M/T from falling out. Super light cuts are the only way when doing any milling on a DP. Another thing I did back then, was rig up support jacks so the table couldnt shake loose and tip.

I know I shouldnt encourage the use of a DP, but very light milling can be done with a XY table. Adding a milling attachment to a small lathe is risky at best. The use of a DP is just as bad, and you have to come to terms with you may, or may not make it through the job with out something going very worng.

Just tell SWMBO that you have been well advised that you need to obtain a mill at the earliest possibility due to safety concerns for not only yourself but also for her! (let me know how that works and if it is in a positve manner, I'll try and use it on mine next time I want something)

Back