Milling/Drilling Machine

gredpe3

Active User
Registered
I do not own one yet,still researching the different models /sizes and such.I am thinking the Grizzly 0463 is what i want.Anyone here got any hands on with this machine?The biggest problem I am having to decide on a model is I have never operated a mill.So therefore I dont know what I need.I am a hobby knife maker so parts would mostly be no bigger than hand size.Materials will be Hardwood / High carbon steel /Brass /Nickel
Micarta.My goal will be to make the material Flat/Square or round in the beginning.So I can make it all line up.The actual shaping will be done freehand.
Thanks Eddie

I'm not sure if you have a drill press already but if not consider at least small one and leave the Mill/Drill for the larger drilled holes, it's pain to change over for drilling just to drill a couple small hole, if you get a mill/drill you can avoid buying a large drill press, sorry can't comment on Grizzly mill/drill sizes or quality, I'm just not familiar with them.:))

Thanks for the reply,yes I already have a couple small benchtop drill presses. Craftsman 12" and Central Machinery 8".The 12" is what I use on my Metal projects,the 8" is in my clean room for leather.Lookin into the Mill for slotting metal for gaurds ,squareing up handle material like wood and Micarta.I have a hunch after i get a little time on a Mill,the usefulness will increase.I'm afraid the LMS would end up being to small.So for now I'm drawn to the Grizzly.
Eddie

Thanks for the reply,yes I already have a couple small benchtop drill presses. Craftsman 12" and Central Machinery 8".The 12" is what I use on my Metal projects,the 8" is in my clean room for leather.Lookin into the Mill for slotting metal for gaurds ,squareing up handle material like wood and Micarta.I have a hunch after i get a little time on a Mill,the usefulness will increase.I'm afraid the LMS would end up being to small.So for now I'm drawn to the Grizzly.
Eddie

My advice for size would be to pick the one you think will do the size stuff your working on, then go at least one size bigger...!:))

For about the same money you might look at the Grizzly G0705. Quite a bit larger and a lot more versatile. Takes up a bit more room as well, but gives you lots of room to grow. I'd suggest either a 4" or 5" milling vise (Shars usually has some good deals on these) and a clamping kit (Shars), along with a set of R8 collets (check Enco sales flyers and Shars on the collets) Main reason I suggest this type mill over the G0463 is that it is belt drive and has a higher speed, which would be useful in milling wood and composites - you could use router bits on this type material at higher speeds. Just a thought. You might also look at yhe similar style mill-drill machines offered by Harbor Freight (you can usually find a 20% and sometimes a 25% off coupon for them). and Wholesale Tools. The G0463 would probably work ok and Grizzly has about the best parts and support in that price range, but why not plan for growth?

That 0705 looks good,and the extra HP would come in handy Im sure.The router bit idea is also something I had not thought of.Thanks.
The round column shouldn't hender me because all my parts are one of a kind.300lbs heavier than the 0463,The Harbour Freight is a little cheaper,but if I have trouble Grizzly would be better to deal with.I hope!
Eddie

I'm selling mine with all the tooling, for what I think is a good price, but I don't think you'd want to pay the shipping from Canada.
One thing to keep in mind is that it uses a round colum, so when you have to raise the head, you will have to repostion the work.

Back