Milling Dovetails

Chucketn

Toxic Lunatic & Psychotic
Registered
I am in the middle of making Harold Halls Deluxe Grinding Table. I need to mill dovetails in several parts. The dovetails are 60° and 8 mm (.314 in) to 8.5 mm (.335 in) high . As I'm getting ready to order my first dovetail cutter, what size is recommended?
I will be ordering the cutter from LMS and sizes available are 3/8", ½" and ¾ in. The cost difference isn't that much, but I don't want to order all three now.
Any other comments on milling dovetails welcome, as I've not done them before. Speeds and feeds? DOC? Multiple passes? Material is mild steel. Mill is an HF X2.
Go easy on this noob, eh? Thanks in advance.

Chuck in E. TN

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveH link=topic=2691.msg18291#msg18291 date=1310057876 said:
Chuck it is a bit of a slow process, take your time, feed especially slow when the cutter just starts to cut, then speed up.

Try to keep the chips away.

I hope this helps a little, it’s one of these things that is much easier to show than explain.

DaveH

Don't you know it. I wish there was someone close to mentor me. Thanks. I'll order the big one.

Chuck in E. TN

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to watch for is the tendency for the tool to move down as the load goes up. The collet has to be clean and oil free. Best grip possible to stop it coming out.

Thanks for all the help and info, folks. Hope someday I can "pay it forward...".

Chuck in E. TN

Back