Milling Cutter Arbor

Nebraska Kirk

Registered
Registered
I bought an arbor with an R8 shank to fit in my Bridgport, it has a 1" keyed arbor to accept horizontal milling cutters. I am going to get started into gear cutting and needed that arbor to hold the gear cutters. The gear milling cutters in the smaller pitches all have a 7/8" bore, but I can't find one of those arbors with a 7/8" shaft, they are all either 1" or 1-1/4". Does anyone know where I could buy one of those arbors with an R8 shank and a shaft to fit 7/8" bore milling cutters?

Make your own straight shank arbor. I have several that I built for slitting saws from 3/4" i.d. to 1.125". The advantage is that you can make the shank for the cutter fit " snug", for no runout. The drive key is no more than a roll pin drove into the top of the arbor. The other advantage is length, sometimes you will need more stick out to reach a particular part.

if you have a lathe make your own. make it with a straight shank and hole it in a collet or r8 tool holder.

I bought an inexpensive shop made used one so I had something to copy.
Easy to make.
Would you like a sketch/print?

Daryl
MN

After looking on ebay for gear cutters some more, I found a Chinese 10dp set with 22mm bore and a 22mm arbor with an R8 shank.

turn a 1" down...put the cutting bit in the mill vise and cut it like a lathe

Toolmaster, That is the best idea I have heard yet! Or it could be done between centers on a lathe.

I bought an arbor with an R8 shank to fit in my Bridgport, it has a 1" keyed arbor to accept horizontal milling cutters. I am going to get started into gear cutting and needed that arbor to hold the gear cutters. The gear milling cutters in the smaller pitches all have a 7/8" bore, but I can't find one of those arbors with a 7/8" shaft, they are all either 1" or 1-1/4". Does anyone know where I could buy one of those arbors with an R8 shank and a shaft to fit 7/8" bore milling cutters?

HERE IS THE ONE USED IN MY GEAR CUTTING DAYS .
IT HAS STEPS TO ACCEPT A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT BORE CUTTERS .

I STILL HAVE 7 SETS OF EIGHT CUTTERS WITH VARIOUS PRESSURE ANGLES AND PITCH DIAMETERS .
MOST OF THESE ARE NEW IN THE BOXES . THEY WILL BE GOING ON E-BAY SOON .

DSC_0477.JPG

100_0415.JPG

Back