[Newbie] milling attachment

dnw8189

Registered
Registered
i have a hf 8x12, i,m trying to find plans to build a milling attachment for this lathe.any help would be apprecaited thanks dnw

Tale a look at LMS and see if they have the engineering drawings. If they are available Chris will know.

Bob

Take a look at the MLA milling attachment. Designed for a south bend 9" lathe, but I adapted it to my 10" chinese thing. The problem with my lathe is it has less clearance over the cross slide after I add my t-slot plate, so I had to make an angle plate that let the milling attachment hang over the edge a bit to get it on center. I'm sure you can figure it out. The plans are available separately from the castings if you just want the plans. The castings were worth it for me though, saved a LOT of stock removal.

The plans were very good. I use the thing all the time too. Possible to make it entirely on the lathe, I did.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-5.html

When I ordered, the guy gave me a call and talked me through all the "gotchas" before he sent it off.

Let me know if you have any questions, I use my milling attachment nearly daily. It lets you do some setups that are easy on the lathe but hard on a vertical mill, like slotting the end of a long bar or setting up a funny angle.

1. Store bought angle plate bolted to xslide
2. Compound attached to angle plate.
3. 3/4 junkyard plate tapped with pattern of 3/8x16 holes attached to compound.
4. mill vice attached to 3/4 plate.

rsz_1dsc_1063.jpg rsz_dsc_0830.jpg rsz_dsc_0863.jpg rsz_dsc_1062.jpg

Last edited:
Back