Milling Attachment for a lathe??

jouesdeveaux

Registered
Registered
For about a year, I've been learning to use a lathe (Grizzly 7X12), and now I'm curious about milling. Rather than buying a small mill, I was thinking of getting a milling attachment from Little Machine Shop to learn the basics and then decide if I want to move up. Are there pros and cons about using a a milling attachment that I should keep in mind? Many thanks in advance for any advice.

A milling attachment is not much like a milling machine, and much more limited, but it can do work that you otherwise could not. Some milling attachments (South Bend comes to mind) are about as costly as a decent used entry level milling machine, which would be much more versatile, but would also take up more shop space if that is an issue. Milling machines also work as wonderful drill presses.

the cons are limited work envelope due to size, and rigidity. gotta buy more tooling ;)
the pros- expanded capabilities, and new projects- relative low cost of the milling attachment for a mini lathe

the milling attachment will teach you the importance of conventional milling.
the milling attachment will prevent all but the very lightest climb milling (if at all)

try it out and make your own decision.
the cost is inconsequential if you learn something or can make something you couldn't before, IMO.

I did not catch this was a mini lathe until after posting. Thanks, Mike, for the follow up.

Back