Milling Angles...? Sine Plate Or Tilt Vise?

Guys have had mixed results from CDCO. I've been very fortunate and only had one "buyer's remorse" case with a set of center line gauges for calipers. The instructions said that the stock diameter was 1/2", so close the jaws with the extenders in place, tighten the set screws on the caliper jaws and zero out the calipers, but add 0.500" to your measurements. The diameter is actually 3/8" . . . The little set screws were total garbage, but other than that they work fine for a $9 tool.

I've bought a 5-C collet chuck and two sets of 5-C round collets (1/64" step set and 1/32" step set), set of 5-C square collets, 2" indicator with a mag back, couple of mag indicator bases, set of TNMT 1/2" lathe turning tools, at least 50 250-201 QCTP tool holders, etc. etc. and haven't had any problems with any of that stuff. I think someone here posted having a problem with a mill X-axis power feed and wasn't treated well by CDCO on the return. Shars is another source of Chinese tooling, I've never had a problem with any of their boring bars, calipers, etc. purchased from them. Lots of options that unfortunately for the hobby machinist on a budget means supporting the Chinese economy instead of our own. I could never justify buying the 50 or so 250-201 tool holders from Aloris at $60 a piece when the CDCO's at $11 work fine. Good luck on your angle project!

Bruce

View attachment 143136
I agree with you, Bruce, and have had good luck there myself, but the combination of known hit or miss products and a seller known to to be difficult at returning items, combined together, gives me pause, especially on more expensive tools. I will say, though, that my worst experience trying to return a misrepresented part was with MSC.

Bruce, I have a pair of those, except I had to adapt them to measure across a groove in the face of a thrust bearing race. The OD was about 8", about an inch thick and the radius I was cutting was 0.6405, so those discs are 1.281 diameter and pressed on. I used them on 12" digimatic calipers. The parts were then carburized. photoX.jpg

IMG_1138.JPG
Well Guys, as luck would have it, I just received this box today from CDCO Tools. Haven't opened it yet. Should contain stuff for my new 8X12. I hope my luck is good. Even cheap things add up to cost a substantial amount of money

--Chip.

IMG_1139[1].JPG
This is the QCTP that was in the box. I got the suggestion from KenS on another thread. It's the wedge type for $122. Says precision right there on the device. That's all one needs to know right? In all honesty it does seem pretty hefty.

Last edited:
I have one of these Bostar Qctp's. Works well. I think I bought mine from Little machine shop. They offer excellent return policy and superb customer service. Also got an angle block set from them two years ago - fine equipment for a hobbyist. I don't think you can go wrong buying from them.

Glenn

Yep I like LMS too, good service and return policy. Not always the cheapest, but the service is worth a little more for me, esp. for import tools.
Mark S.

This is an operation on the mill that I have never attempted. I don't own a sine plate or tilting vise,
so what do I need to mill angles to create 15° and other cuts on steel, e.g. to make a Jacobs style wedge
or toe/edge clamps and similar tools. Can this be done safely and effectively on a tilting vise?

I would rather use a sine plate but the good quality plates are expensive. B&S or Suburban tool.
I may buy a good used plate, small. I see them on Ebay, but then you also need a set of gage blocks.
All this can easily become a $500 purchase. I see no other way to do this type of work accurately.
Thanks.

A quick and easy way is to cut a wooden wedge that will fit in your vice. The wedge should be slightly less in width than the part so the jaws can tighten up. I use this method often for model engines that use 16-1/2° or 8°. Not sure what degree of accuracy you need but I can assure you a wedge cut on a miter saw is as accurate as the small angle fixture shown on other posts. I have that same fixture and rarely use it, the size gets in the way to tighten the vice. I would need taller jaw to make it useful.

I picked these up for an excellent price:$65, Spi made in USA 12 piece angle block set in nice wood case.
This set is from the early 90's and is in near perfect condition. Looks like they were only used for inspection. Hard to find USA made blocks now. Suburban tools are excellent, but very expensive.

USA Made in mint condition 12 piece set. Spi
CDCO's claims of .0001" accuracy is hopeful at best. with this Spi set, I can set accurate angles on
an angle vise or plate that isn't so accurate., then double check with a Starrett vernier protractor.

IMG_20170114_141500312.jpg

IMG_20170114_141540621.jpg

Last edited:
No worries. I take my work seriously, not myself. :)
and, I don't like cheap tools. I don't know much about CDCO but I've read a lot of bad reviews.

Buy what you can afford.

I've used the angle blocks to setup for an angle cut before, works great for small parts that fit in the vise.

For what it's worth, I was surprised when I saw the cute little Surface Gage from Brown & Sharpe was made in India.
I also bought several items from CDCO and was pleased with the product for the price.

Back