Milling a 3/16" slot with my lathe.

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
This is my arbor that i make my SB pulleys in and i make 15 or so a year. Well it needed a 3/16" w x 3/32" deep keyway. I could have done it a dozen different ways but thought to use my 10K lathe and take some pics. I started with my home made square tool block and clamped the arbor in it with a cool looking slide clamp i just had to buy. Then i shimmed up the tool block so the center of the shaft was inline with the #3 MT dead center located in my lathes spindle. I used a steel rule to tell if it needed to come up or go down. Then i raised the block until the ruler was plumb (straight up and down for those that don't know). Then i chucked up a 3/16" end mill in my home made ER40 collet chuck (love that thing) and i tightened the gib screws a twang in the cross slide to keep the chatter down. Moved the belt over a few grooves in the pulleys to get the spindle up to speed for the small end mill and proceded to cut the slot. Took about 5 cuts until it was deep enough to measure with my steel ruler. Perfect fit...Bob

lathe 011.jpg lathe 013.jpg lathe 014.jpg lathe 015.jpg lathe 016.jpg lathe 020.jpg lathe 021.jpg lathe 022.jpg

Don't know why it chose that order to load the pics in but i did it twice and the order is still screwed up...Bob

I have done a little milling on my Atlas. Chatter is sure is a problem. As for the photos I've had similar problems on other sites as well. No worries, we will figure it out. Some of us are just twisted that way!

Bob,

Nice post. Centering up doesn't get any clearer than your 'ruler' pic. Very nice.

I assume you selected your photos all in one batch. The software may then post them alpha-numerically. If a particular order is needed, posting the pics individually, especially in-line, may give you what you want. That would let you caption each one as you go.

Back