1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Mill work light brightness question

Discussion in 'MACHINE ACCESSORIES (Tables, Vises, Indexers)' started by dan2116, Apr 19, 2017.

1. dan2116

dan2116 United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Redding
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Have been looking at posts of machine work lights but wanted to ask what lumin range is best for a led light on a PM25-MV or like mill. Thank you

2. RJSakowski

RJSakowski H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Barneveld
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I have between 800 and 900 lumens on my machines but it depends on how far from the work the illumination is and how well focused it is. My distances run from3 to 15 inches from the work.

3. dan2116

City:
    Redding
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Thank you RJ. I was looking at a small led light sold by Northern tool ( 1050 lumens ) and do not know what is enough light and or too much. Think I will give them a try. Thanks again for your help.

4. Rustrp

Rustrp United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I'm not a big fan of LED lighting because the engineers are still working on the daylight/natural sunlight formula. I'm more in tune with the correct lighting as I get older due to the quality of my eysight. I'm fortunate to have good eyesight but I do use reading glasses for up close and personal, so anything that produces light closest to sunlight (indirect) is what I like the best. I think all the energy saving lighting trends available today are good for making sure can find your way around without bumping ito things, but to date I haven't found anything but a flourescent bulb or tube that's suitable for close work. I'm speaking of the ones with a sunlight color rating.

5. pineyfolks

pineyfolks Active User Active Member

City:
    Dillonvale
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I've got these on my machines. I bolted them on without the base. They do make a clamp on model too. For $10 you can't beat them. The hardest thing to do is eliminate shadows around the mill and these work pretty well since they're small enough and have along enough flex shaft to position them about anywhere.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

6. higgite

higgite General Manger - Proofreading Dept. Active Member

City:
    Houston
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I have 2 of these 20 LED magnetic lights from Amazon on my bench mill. One on each side of the mill head to eliminate shadows. I have no idea how many lumens, but plenty more than enough. They also make a 10 LED model.

Tom
    [​IMG]

7. dan2116

City:
    Redding
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I ran onto a halo light with magnets that is placed on the bottom of the quill . Looks like it would work very well.

8. ddickey

ddickey United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Red Wing
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I have one of those to but find the light to soft. I believe I have the ten LED though.